Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ysi D.o. 200

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ysi D.o. 200

This is a meter that I saw on Bill Dance today that measures dissolved oxygen in water. Had a probe that would drop on down in the water to give readings on down the water column and had a digital readout. I can't fing this thing anywhere. Need help. this will help me this summer. Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your favorite web search engine type in "oxygen meter" and do a search. You'll find numerous sites that have meters with digital readout. Cheapest one I found was close to $400.00. Both BPS and Cabelas have a oxygen meter that has meter readout ( not digital) for about $50.00.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Do a web search for YSI and you should find the company. Heck I'll do that for you right now!

http://www.ysi.com/index.html

Here is a unit that is similar to the one that I used over the years.

http://www.ysi.com/extranet/EPGKL.ns...1!OpenDocument

YSI makes the research grade DO meters along with many other scientific type equipment. These units are not cheap and they are fragil as well. They need special care taken with them and they are not that easy to use. They must be maintained and calibrated to give accurate readings.

What you want is something that can give you relative DO readings in a lake. You don't really need to know the exact DO concentration but you would like to find areas that have more DO in the water than other areas. But that is easy to figure out without a DO meter. Just fish where there is submergent vegetation or where there is a lot of mixing of the air/water interface. Such as where a stream enters the lake. The windward side of a lake will have more lake when the winds are up. Wave action mixed the air into the water faster. Colder water holds more oxygen. Find colder water during the hot summer months and you may find a hot spot for the fish. An underground spring at 20ft depth may be a good fishing holding spot.

Expect to pay around $1000 bucks if you get a YSI Field DO meter and probe.

And the probes have to be maintained. I think that they changed the design of the probes to make them easier to use and maintain.

I have been using the YSI DO meters since 1976 for my work. They have to be calibrated and you need to make corrections for the water temp and the air pressure to make them read accurately. Not for the faint of heart. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    This is a meter that I saw on Bill Dance today that measures dissolved oxygen in water. Had a probe that would drop on down in the water to give readings on down the water column and had a digital readout. I can't fing this thing anywhere. Need help. this will help me this summer. Thanks. CF
    Last edited by Moose1am; 02-21-2005 at 06:11 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that episode too.HAHA.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D