Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake well water question???????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake well water question???????

My neighbor has a deep well (60-80 ft). Over July 4th he pumped it try, but has begun to fill back up. Only problem is the water smells like rotten eggs (sulfur). Anyone know the cause/cure for this?

I have never heard of this. I have had well water all my life.

State inspector is coming out, but who knows what will show up.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

He's got to move the well. Probably not very far. Its my understanding sulfur veins run perpendicular to water veins.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I had a well that had sulfur smell. He can put in a carbon filter in to take the smell out. If he pumped it dry, I would be more worried about that. He my have to drill a new well. I thought most of the people in Tn had city water.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdant
    I had a well that had sulfur smell. He can put in a carbon filter in to take the smell out. If he pumped it dry, I would be more worried about that. He my have to drill a new well. I thought most of the people in Tn had city water.
    I live on the poor side of town.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, Your lake house is pretty close to the old sulfer well that use to pump out into the Big Sandy River way back before the lake was built. It may be a part of that.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a young lad in the eastern part of Jefferson County, about 8 miles from Louisville Ky. which is almost downtown now. there were several wells in the neighborhood. All of them were sulfur wells except ours. I remember my Dad telling me about how when he had our well drilled they went to 25 ft. and no water, seems all the sulfur wells were about that deep. Dad had them go to 30 ft and they hit pure water,luckily when they went 3 more ft for the well foot nothing happened. We had the best water around. When we sold the house in the late 70's that well was still there and still had good water in it.Should've bottled it and made a fortune.LOL :D
    PS We never could run it dry.
    Last edited by wannabe fisherman; 07-30-2007 at 05:35 AM.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Springville pump house last spring and couldn't believe how much it had changed in the 10 or 15 years since I had been there. When I first started coming to Tn. we camped at the pump house.

Post Thanks / Like

In the rural area I live in, everyone outside the village proper is on a well, and some get sulfur water and some don't. It's almost one of those luck of the draw kind of things. Lots of folks end up digging (or drilling) another well in another spot on their property to find water without the sulfur.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hydrogen sulfide. Water treatment places can get rid of it with about a $1500 unit that's like a softener, but you never have to add anything. Usually seen in deeper wells, but it depends where you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Mr. Tom, I thought that just came with the territory up there

Our one and only stay at the Manserd Island dump I mean campground:rolleyes: the water in the showers smelled like sulphur so
    bad you had to hold your breath and run through it to wash your hiney:D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast