PDA

View Full Version : Lake well water question???????

Cane Pole
07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
My neighbor has a deep well (60-80 ft). Over July 4th he pumped it try, but has begun to fill back up. Only problem is the water smells like rotten eggs (sulfur). Anyone know the cause/cure for this?

I have never heard of this. I have had well water all my life.

State inspector is coming out, but who knows what will show up.

Barnacle Bill
07-29-2007, 08:12 PM
He's got to move the well. Probably not very far. Its my understanding sulfur veins run perpendicular to water veins.

rdant
07-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I had a well that had sulfur smell. He can put in a carbon filter in to take the smell out. If he pumped it dry, I would be more worried about that. He my have to drill a new well. I thought most of the people in Tn had city water.

Cane Pole
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM
I had a well that had sulfur smell. He can put in a carbon filter in to take the smell out. If he pumped it dry, I would be more worried about that. He my have to drill a new well. I thought most of the people in Tn had city water.

I live on the poor side of town.

1weezer
07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Tom, Your lake house is pretty close to the old sulfer well that use to pump out into the Big Sandy River way back before the lake was built. It may be a part of that.

wannabe fisherman
07-30-2007, 05:32 AM
When I was a young lad in the eastern part of Jefferson County, about 8 miles from Louisville Ky. which is almost downtown now. there were several wells in the neighborhood. All of them were sulfur wells except ours. I remember my Dad telling me about how when he had our well drilled they went to 25 ft. and no water, seems all the sulfur wells were about that deep. Dad had them go to 30 ft and they hit pure water,luckily when they went 3 more ft for the well foot nothing happened. We had the best water around. When we sold the house in the late 70's that well was still there and still had good water in it.Should've bottled it and made a fortune.LOL :D
PS We never could run it dry.

rdant
07-30-2007, 06:55 AM
I was at Springville pump house last spring and couldn't believe how much it had changed in the 10 or 15 years since I had been there. When I first started coming to Tn. we camped at the pump house.

joejv4
07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
In the rural area I live in, everyone outside the village proper is on a well, and some get sulfur water and some don't. It's almost one of those luck of the draw kind of things. Lots of folks end up digging (or drilling) another well in another spot on their property to find water without the sulfur.

CatFan
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
It's hydrogen sulfide. Water treatment places can get rid of it with about a $1500 unit that's like a softener, but you never have to add anything. Usually seen in deeper wells, but it depends where you are.

J White
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Dang Mr. Tom, I thought that just came with the territory up there :)

Our one and only stay at the Manserd Island dump I mean campground:rolleyes: the water in the showers smelled like sulphur so
bad you had to hold your breath and run through it to wash your hiney:D

crappie&shrooms
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh yes I know all too well the sulfer, rotten egg smell. I live in Northern IL and there is about 3 counties that have terrible water. Of course I live in one of them. When I bought the place I took the water in and had it tested. The water company told me it was fine just the sulfer smell. My well is over 300 ft deep. We put in a carbon filtering system and a water softener. It helps a lot but you can still smell it some, especialy in the hot water. You can actualy run a pitcher of water and put it in the fridge for 24 hours and it has no smell and is wonderful water. No way I can afford to drill another well as deep as we have to go. My neighbor has drilled two one was sulfer and the second one was good water. Over 500 ft to hit the good stream.

Wiskers
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Actually the "rotten egg" smell you are getting is probably H2S or (Hydrogen Sulfide Gas). H2S is a by-product of the decomposition of organic matter. Over the years the well may have not been sealed well and some "trash" may have gotten in it as well as Micro-Organisms and settled to the bottom. When the well was pumped dry it may have allowed oxygen to get to the matter and started the chemical reaction causing the H2S.

H2S gas is very toxic & is heavier than air and will accumulate in low lying areas on still days. Avoid breathing the gas. My guess is that after the well refills and cuts off the oxygen the well will settle down. This is assuming it had good water before. This is a common problem in the Oil Fields. Good Luck! I bet the chemistry department at one of your local Schools has some tubes or strips that you can use to test for H2S.

WhitePerchJerker
07-30-2007, 01:10 PM
As they said, it is Hydrogen Sulfide gas. It is due to organics in the water sand. East Texas is known for Hydrogen Sulfide along with the natural gas they have. You can go deeper for water and hope there is less of it. My well is 400 and it has some smell. You can install a small injection pump, cost about 300 bucks, and inject Clorox down the well. Monitor it with a swimming pool chlorine test kit for less than 3-ppm cl2. Around 1-ppm will usually do away with the smell. 80 well going dry does not sound right. Personally, I would not drink anything that shallow. If it is good water there could be shallower water sand leaking into the 80 water due to improper seal on the 80 water sand. The Clorox injection has to be into the well not the tank. It has to have a resident time. Hope some of this will help you.
Joseph

Bullsprig
07-30-2007, 09:02 PM
at least you won't get chiggers

okiefish
07-31-2007, 12:25 PM
ok, heres my 2 cents and what has worked for me.
i have a well about 90-100 feet deepat my lake place, lake eufaula-ok, i use it only for watering lawn and washing boats etc.
in spring it often gets the sulphur smell to the water.
I have done 2 things to help get rid of the smell.

1. add bleach to the well. i poured like 1 quart directly into the well and let it sit over night.

2. i also ran well water back into the well to earate the water and release the sulpur oxides into the air. i let the hose run back into the well for like 20 min.

see if these will help you. many pumps have a weep hole set up to drip water back into the well just for this purpose.

pwbuilding
07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Smells Like The Town Of Laughlin Nevada . When The Warm Weather Hitts It Is Worse. Go To Laughlin & Gambel & Smell The ?????????????????????????