Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What are these little buggers really called?

flacracker Guest

Default What are these little buggers really called?

My husband and I (whose username I'm logged in with) are both FL natives. We took the kids bass fishing today and did great, but that old debate came up again, which I always bow out of gracefully, because I really don't know the answer. The fish that I call brim, and have since I was kid, with the black dot, are the same as blue gill, yes? A gal I know from up north calls them sunfish. Are they the same or are sunfish the same as crappie and spec? I need to see some pics side by side so I make sure I have them straight. I figured this was the place to come because surely someone here is an expert on this. Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in Ohio and the fish we called "Bleugill" are called by several names down south. One thing I can tell you is that they sure are bigger down here in Alabama. I think people here use "Bream" and Blluegill interchangeably depending on who you talk to. They are all in the sunfish family and you fish for them the same way. They still taste good. You might ask thhat question on the "Bluegill" board on this forum. I'm sure you will get even more replies.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Brim and a bluegill are the same to me. Brim is a general word, meaning bluegill, shellcracker, etc. So, to me, you are right.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure SteveJ will agree,,,,, When folks down here go Bream fishing they are going after what ever of the family they can catch. Blue gill, Shell Crackers, Sun Fish, Coper Nose etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi Glenn
    I'm sure SteveJ will agree,,,,, When folks down here go Bream fishing they are going after what ever of the family they can catch. Blue gill, Shell Crackers, Sun Fish, Coper Nose etc.
    Yes I do and they all eat good. In my main lake the shellcracker are the biggest so thats what I try to find but I'm not real good on brim. Don't know too much about finding them when not on the spawn and not very good at finding beds.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Shellcrackers(also known as Redear sunfish), Warmouth, Green sunfish, Redbreast sunfish, Longeared Sunfish, Bluegill Sunfish, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Rock Bass, even bass and crappies are all in the sunfish family. There are many many varieties and often the same fish is called something else in different parts of the country. Its tough to keep them straight. Brim and bream are basically the same word and is a generalized term for sunfish.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

GRIZZ hit the nail on the head - all of the species he listed are members of the sunfish family. "bream", to me means bluegill or pumpkinseed sunfish - those smaller members of the sunfish family.

here's a site that may help:

http://fish.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/C...rarchidae.html