Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS vs Humminbird 797si GPs with maps...pics

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin GPS vs Humminbird 797si GPs with maps...pics

Sitting here in my office (refer pic stuff) and have been driving my Garmin 276C and my Humminbird 797si around in the simulator mode. Garmin has the Garmin Hot Spots maps displayed in the Gar1 and the 997si has the Navionics Hot Maps displayed in the Hum1 pics. Both are at the power line across the Big Sandy River.

The dav picture is where David Waters got concerned when he and I were headed south a couple of years ago and we went from 20 ft to 8 foot. It was ok Dave. We were in his boat. This picture shows the details of the Navionics Maps. I like the contrast of blue/white verses Garmins just blue. But, I like Garmins pop ups as you approach navigation points/objects. The display that shows "power line" in a pop up window.

I had all the waypoints loaded on the Humminbird and found it hard to navigate thru thick waypoints on the Humminbird simulator. No problem with the Garmin navigating with the arrow thru the waypoints. The Humminbird jumped from waypoint to waypoint and was not smoothe while moving the cursor.

I use this arrow (bulls eye) a lot. I use it to look around before I head up and move out. I can't remember all the spots. This helps a lot with my recall. I stated this in a GPS post the other day.

You can tell by my office I like gadgets. I believe if you gonna get this stuff, you oughta learn how to use it. I got the buttons figured out.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

TOM I THINK YOU CAN GET MORE IN THAT ROOM IF YOU,D PUT ANOTHER SELF ON TOP ---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Frank

Now I'm more than a little worried..I thought we would see this "stuff" on the boat only...What if we get up in the middle of the night and hit a wrong button looking for a light switch? Another thing, where does Clyde sleep? Does he have his own room or do we share a room with him?? Robots walking around in the middle of the night gives me an eerie feeling. Will all our actions be recorded and played back on the Off Topic forum??

Frank, we need to talk..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I am very happy with my 797siNVB the map overlays have worked great on many lakes this year. It is also easy to mark and has multiple zoom levels. I don`t think anyone can come up with a perfect mapping system, but this works well for me and the sideimager is a must have.

Post Thanks / Like

C/P you need to see the Premium maps of the power lines. Its shows 1 ft lines.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Navionics Gold and HotMaps Premium worth the extra 2 hundred dollars?

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I only have the region Premium maps. But they cover way more then the Hot maps.
    If I were buying a new unit. Yes I would spend the Extra $200 for the whole US Maps. If there the Premium maps.
    Pete

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Now I'm more than a little worried..I thought we would see this "stuff" on the boat only...What if we get up in the middle of the night and hit a wrong button looking for a light switch? Another thing, where does Clyde sleep? Does he have his own room or do we share a room with him?? Robots walking around in the middle of the night gives me an eerie feeling. Will all our actions be recorded and played back on the Off Topic forum??

Frank, we need to talk..
    Clyde ain,t the one worrin me ---He just does what cane pole tells him
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The current NVB has only the 2006 addition of the premium maps loaded. One disadvantage to buying the NVB is with the current rebate deal with navionics is not eligible. If you have a older card with maps depends on how much you spend on the new maps you are can get a rebate up to 75 dollars.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    C/P you need to see the Premium maps of the power lines. Its shows 1 ft lines.
    Pete
    I got em. This is just to show everyone the differences of views between Garmin and Navonics maps. Not much difference. If you overzoom, either unit will show the small contours.

I like both maps and either one of the two units will work fine. I have no bias except for the moving pointer part. It is hard to move the Humminbird pointer through a bunch of waypoints. It jumps from waypoint to adjacent waypoint. Most folks probably don't use this function.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast