Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing a trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help choosing a trolling motor

Hey guys,

Got real good advice here concerning our fish finder, so hopefully y'all can help out with a trolling motor as well.

long story short, we need one. getting sick of starting up the merc every time we want to move 10 ft-and drifting into shore for that matter. problem is, we dont know the first thing about them.

we dont really know what we need, anyone want to offer up up some models that would be good for our size boat? we have an 18.5ft crestliner. we dont need the best model or anything, just one that works!

thanks!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you wanting to put your new Minnkota on the bow or stern?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of a boat are you going to put it on and how do you plan to fish?. Just about got to know these things before we can give you any pointers.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    What kind of a boat are you going to put it on and how do you plan to fish?. Just about got to know these things before we can give you any pointers.
    I have a small open bow runabout. I put a Minn-Kota power drive 40lb. bow mount on it. has a foot control that I can use from anywhere in the boat,long cable. Real happy with it, moves the boat quite well. Don't know if this would work for you, but you can't go wrong with Minn-Kota no matter what type you get.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota is my choice as well.

Post Thanks / Like

we have a crestliner 1850 sportfish (see below). we'd like a bow mount. most of the fishing we do is in 4-8ft of water (lake is pretty shallow), up and down the shoreline. this help at all?

Last edited by TGannon; 07-27-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would put a 55pd powerdrive v2 from Minnkota with autopilot. The autopilot is very a important fishing tool. You can spend more time fishing/catching and not fighting the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the 55 minnkota auto pilot, on a 16.5 ft aluminum flat bottom and it moves me around just fine. The 12 volt system works well for many hours and have only ran out of battery on very long day trolling in a stiff wind. If you don't use your motor to all day a regular hand mount will work, but the maximizer is a must for any trolling to get just the right speed. and it lets the trolling motor work longer to. Had a 5 speed motorguide originally on the boat and was always changing speeds and would rarely get it just right.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean hand mount, hand control. Of course most pros highly recommend not underpowing your trolling motor. Folks spend so much on their outboard and boat and skimp on the TM. Catching crappie is finding were their at and controlling your boat to catch em.

Post Thanks / Like

If your budget will allow, I highly recommend a tm with autopilot and copilot. Infinite speeds lets you finetune trolling speeds. The autopilot takes a lot of work out of controlling the boat while copilot lets you control it from anywhere with a small wireless remote control about the size of a car remote lock fob. This can be mounted on a fishing rod or other places. I attach mine to a belt loop and can mind rods in the front or rear while maintaining the ability to steer, turn the tm on or off or change speeds from anywhere.

I also agree not to underpower. Not knowing the wind or currents you deal with, I'd guess that that boat needs a 50lb.or greater. Hope this helps.

CrappieDan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast