Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Brush fishing advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brush fishing advice

I am fishing brush that is in 4 to 8 feet of water. This puts the brush anywhere from 2 to 4 feet under the waters surface. what would be the best way to fish this brush. I was thinking Kentucky lake rig on at least a 10 feet rod. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd use my 7' wally marshall with a jig and bobber set at 2 to 4' and cast to the brush. Swim the jig back across the brush and its on. The bobber would be to hold the jig up so i dont snag on every cast. I also use the smaller microspoons with a crappie nibble the same way. No splitshot tho.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, any brush less than ten feet of water should be cast to from a distance. They can feel the displacement of water caused by the boat being too close. IMO. A cork jig/minnow presentation would be perfect or swimming a Slider grub across would work too.
    I would pull up and vertical jig the brush before I left though. Just in case there was a big one holding near the bottom.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I would also try live minnows under a bobber, hard for the crappie to resist a minnow swimming around on top of their heads.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the water clarity. I catch them in less than a foot of water sometimes in the spring with a 12 ft jiggin pole in the MUDDY water we have. I think the fish see you in clear water, but don't think they "feel" you..

Post Thanks / Like

I would also try live minnows under a bobber
    Exactly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    Depends on the water clarity. I catch them in less than a foot of water sometimes in the spring with a 12 ft jiggin pole in the MUDDY water we have. I think the fish see you in clear water, but don't think they "feel" you..
    I agree....when the water is stained i can get right on top of em in water as shallow as 3' and pick em out with a jigpole but if its clear i'll stay away and use a slip bobber.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others about the water clarity. I have caught them before in stained water tightlining jigs with a 10 ft pole. Just had to put a split shot on about 6 inches above the jig. Helps to unhang the line when it gets hung on the brush, just give it slack and most of the time the weight of the split shot will pull the hook loose going the other direction.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CF, you need to make a date with Fishdoc and get him to show you how he does it. Basically he casts just a jig into the brush and when it gets close to the top starts retrieving. I think he had caught over 100 before I even got one. You have GOT to be able to see your line.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Cf ....

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    I am fishing brush that is in 4 to 8 feet of water. This puts the brush anywhere from 2 to 4 feet under the waters surface. what would be the best way to fish this brush. I was thinking Kentucky lake rig on at least a 10 feet rod. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. CF
    Don't know if this is the "best" way to approach such shallow water cover ... but, it's certainly a "fun" way :

Casting from a distance, while using one or more of the following -

1/32oz Roadrunner - (steady retrieve overtop of brush)
    1/32oz Beetlespin - (steady retrieve overtop of brush)
    micro bobber & wet fly, micro spoon, or 1/32oz (or smaller) jig - (stop and go retrieve)
    1/32oz weedless jighead & plastic body (Panfish Assassin, tube, minnow, or other 1" to 1.5" size body) - (slow & steady retrieve, bumping over branches)

6-8ft rod, UL to light action - UL to lite spinning reel - 4lb test mono ... should allow you to cast any of the above mentioned baits, from a safe distance (30ft +/-).

.... cp