Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condos

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Condos

I've been waiting for a good day with bad weather (so there won't many theives watching) to put out some cover. Now that its here, all I want to do is stay in and watch the race. Cold and rain plus wind ain't fun.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you mark them with a GPS and let us in on where you put them..
    Today would be a good day to do it.
    The boat ramps here are empty.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I know, its nasty outside.
    I don't have a gps thats good enough to put you right on stuff. I have an old garmin gps 12 without WAAS and I haven't used it in a while. But when I do sink some stuff I'll save the cords. Hoping to get a new unit for my birthday but in some ways I want a new depthfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    I know, its nasty outside.
    I don't have a gps thats good enough to put you right on stuff. I have an old garmin gps 12 without WAAS and I haven't used it in a while. But when I do sink some stuff I'll save the cords. Hoping to get a new unit for my birthday but in some ways I want a new depthfinder.
    2 bad I don't live closer to you. I would offer to help out and we could use my Garmin GPSMAP 76C. :D It will get within 6 ft most of the time.
    Good luck getting them out, And best of luck keeping them hid from everyone.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Fiddlefarter-same Here,i Waited For A Bad Day Also And Today Was Sure It!like You I Chose To Stay In And Watch The Race--maybe Tomorrow! The Weather Is Going To Be About The Same They Say.the Last One I Put Out I Did On A Decent Day--twice Now I"ve Went To Check It And Had Other Boats On It!sure Makes Ya Bite Your Tongue!!!i"m Gonna Have To Get G.p.s.,dont Have One Yet~good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis Go---dj!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a good gps I'd do it at night. Mark the places I wanted them in the light and go back after dark. Still might end up doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a Garmin Geko 201 for about $130 including tax and shipping from Walmart.com - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2129164 and a power supply cord for about $10 on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&rd=1&tc=photo. The 201 is WAAS enabled and will bring you right back to your honey holes every time.

You can even fish around a brushpile using the GPS to keep you on it without throwing out a buoy marker - less chance folks will realize you are fishing over a brushpile. Putting condos out at night is a great idea but be sure and take a friend so you're not out there by yourself.

I'm fortunate here that we don't have that many people crappie fishing and we have so many lakes and I have so many condos out it's never been a problem. Very rarely do I ever see anyone fishing one of my condos and if there is a boat even close to one that I want to fish I'll go on to another one and come back later.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I fish 2 really pressured. Old Hickory and Percy Priest. I once read that they were both in the top ten busiest in the nation. So the best plan is to put out a bunch of brush and hope there arent people sitting on all them. We used to have several brush piles that not too many people knew about. Over time they were discovered. My uncles put most of them out but now they aren't in shape to be putting them out so I guess its up to me.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to drop mine at night to keep the others and the property owners around the lake from seeing me.I loaded the boat to fish tonight and put 3 condos in boat and drove to the ramp in the rain. I sat there watching it get harder with lightning. This was about midnight. It never let up. I should've dropped them but I was alone(dang kid got a job) so I figured I'd slip in the wet boat wrestling one of the condos out of the boat and it would grab me and pull me out with it, down to the bottom and there I'd be, so here I sit after watching it rain on the river for 3 hrs. I'll go at daylight hope those t storms are not bad but I want these in the water. I use the gps to mark them but never use it to return. Once I drop it I know where it is. We have so many docks that it is easy to mark it by eye.
    Jerry the ones I am taking now I cut 5 slots down 6 inches in the bucket to let 5 pieces stick out to the sides. 2 of them are maybe 30' wide and 15' tall.
    They are gianormous(huge). I had to rope them to bend them to about 12 wide. My boat looks like an overdone duck blind or a small Floating island..
    Guess what. It has stopped raining now.. aw sheet

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Smitty:

That's a good idea for making them shorter and wider. I've been pondering how to do that - thought about drilling some holes in the sides. The buckets Darryl brought me are drywall mud buckets and they are a bit shorter than a regular 5-gallon bucket so we can set some of the bamboo at a lower angle in them.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast