HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are Missouri's best crappie lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are Missouri's best crappie lakes?

Ok i know that this will open up alot of discussion.I am originally from St.Louis area and after being able to fish Tennessee's Kentucky lake i am addicted tom crappie fishing.My family and i are planning to move back in the St.Louis area but have not decided where at this time.(it depends on job location) Is Mark Twain a good place? How about Lake of the Ozarks or is there too many skiers?I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Stalker
    Ok i know that this will open up alot of discussion.I am originally from St.Louis area and after being able to fish Tennessee's Kentucky lake i am addicted tom crappie fishing.My family and i are planning to move back in the St.Louis area but have not decided where at this time.(it depends on job location) Is Mark Twain a good place? How about Lake of the Ozarks or is there too many skiers?I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome back to the Show Me. Never fished MT, LOZ is great for Crappie in the late fall, Winter and early Spring before the big boats get started. Truman maybe the best crappie lake in Missouri. I like the southern Lakes myself Bull Shoals and Norfolk.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Default lakes

Truman in a good lake infact at one time was rated one of the top five lakes in the nation for crappie but fishing pressure has slowed it down some. Still one of the best in the summer for bigger crappie. If you dont care about catching alot of big fish Mark Twain is an excellent lake. Boat traffic is much less there as well, plus you will be alot closer to MT. If you go to Ozark there is usually less water traffic in the cooler months, some nice size fish there too.

Post Thanks / Like

In my book truman is the best for spring and summer crappie. In the fall and through the spring LOZ. Like you and Duane said to many big boats out there from May to September. Mark Twain is also ok, but last year had to many small crappie to be found during the summer. It would take 6 or 7 small ones to get one keeper size.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default loz

lake of ozark is getting a bad name from those boats they swamp smaller boats including bassboats

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this lake is very bad for sinking large boats. It is safe starting mid/late September on the weekends, through the end april/first of May. Dont even try to go out during the middle of week in the summer still very rough. And the weekends is a sucide mission.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion
    Thanks jimmie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

All the above mentioned lakes are good but at different times. Sometimes each can be almost unfishable. Pick and chose because they are usually hot and peak at different times of the year. LOZ was where to be the last three weeks, but only certain portions of the lake were quality fishing, the rest was almost a waste of time. Pay attention to the signs, do your homework and it will quickly become apparent which lake is the most active for crappie fishing each week of the season. Few things are free, most require work, scouting, windshield time , and a lot of trying to figure what is better and where is the best on a particular week. Have an inkling for this week, but will fish a couple of options to determine the better location. Wait a minute, I think I have a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your replies guys. After living in TN for 16 years with some GREAT crappie fishing, we're just hoping to find some good water back in the home state.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

MOFUNFISHIN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Stalker
    Thanks
    wappapello is one of the best in my opinion, and is within a 2 hour drive depending on where you live in the st louis area. wappapello offers some of the best winter/spring fishing

Post Thanks / Like

What is your definition of "BEST"? size,numbers,fish per hour,accesability,solitude,scenery,etc....

I live 5 min. from smithville lake,am off mon. and tues.,have the lake to my self,can catch them year round from the bank(most of the time)can catch white bass,carp and large catfish while crappie fishing,and have 2 18 inchers out of there.So my vote is smithville.
    Likes Jerkey Log LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast