Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: night fishing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default night fishing question

I was just thinking if I bought a Qbeam starfire and used it from the bank would it be okay sitting on the rocks under water?

I will be fishing from the bank so it wouldnt be able to just float.

Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

why not hang it from a stiff old rod and reel/ That way its out in the water some also?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I would recomend putting some type of float about 18 inches above the light to keep it of the rocks. It is glass and will break pretty easy. I found out the hard way with one I borrowed from a friend, reminds me, still gotta pay him back for that one! And like shiloh said, use an old rod or long cane pole in a pole holder to keep it out from the bank.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Good advice ...

but you're going to be limited as to how far away from your power source you can "hang" the light (the cord is only so long). And one thing you don't want to do, is allow the light to be on but not in the water ... it'll overheat pretty quick.
    Another possibility - rig some floatation for it to suspend from (chunk of styrofoam, section of swim noodle, etc). Again, you'd want to have something that would keep it out away from the rocks (as far as as the cord will allow) and you'd want to make sure the light didn't come in contact with the floatation.
    As they say ... "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" ---

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the ideal situation for a floating light. You could even rig an "anchor" for the floater to keep it away from the bank and closer to where your hook is. How far out would only depend on the length of the power cord.

Let us know what you come up with.

Eddie
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddiebhome
    Sounds like the ideal situation for a floating light. You could even rig an "anchor" for the floater to keep it away from the bank and closer to where your hook is. How far out would only depend on the length of the power cord.

Let us know what you come up with.

Eddie
    You can also add to the cord to get it farther out. I had one rigged with 20 feet of cord so I could set the batt. on the bank and leave the light in the water while I went to another area and set up. If it didn't produce, I would go back to the banked battery and see if there were any there. Course, I only did it twice and didn't catch any fish. That was a few years back, now I am trying again, having a little more luck but still haven't quite figured it out. I think I just haven't found the right spots yet.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you could do is, add more wire to it, hang the light off of a peice of styrofoam or some type of floatation, and even run the wire through a peice of 1/2 inch cpvc(small plastic hot water pipe) with the pipe you could add more pipe for however far you wanted the light from the bank. Don't glue the connections together and you can seperate them back down to 10ft when you get ready to leave. You could even run a small rope (or trotline string) through the pipe with a large weight on the other end and use it as an anchor. Just push the pipe/light out to where you want and let off on the rope to keep it in place..... just a thought....good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by jlaughlin72; 07-26-2007 at 05:49 AM.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

good ideas! I recommend you set up with a drop off to deep water. I fish out of a boat and try to be in 20' or so, next to a rise to a weedbed or a rocky ledge... good luck!
    Joe