Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 797si First review...

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 797si First review...

I finally got some cockpit time in on the 797. I rigged up a battery eliminator circuit and eliminated the need for the 9v batteries to run the simulator. This worked out great. I can now run my 797 sitting in the house in my lounge chair for as long as I care to do so. Lots easier sitting in the lounge chair than sitting in the boat all day. ha

It was easy to eliminate the 2 batteries since they were connected in series to produce 18 volts to run the 797. The spec states 10 to 20 volts at 650 ma. Nine volt batteries want last long in the simulator mode. Probably, at best, get 15 minutes "cockpit time" with new batteries. Humminbird gives this usage warning.

The simulator is a great learning tool. I can navigate thru the unit now with ease. It also allowed me to setup different views and configurations and look at them. This helps a lot, but it doesn't replace on the water time. I don't have to fiddle with the buttons much now, as I have pretty much got it down with the simulator practice.

Lots of stuff I will never use in the 797 menu. So I disabled, hid, or turned it off. Makes it simple when you don't have to pan through a bunch of stuff you don't use.

I also visited the side imaging yahoo groups. Some good poop there. It is hard to search specific items thru the groups.

What I need now is water time. 31 more days and I will have plenty of time..
    after I get the 200 page honey do list finished.

Thus far, I like it. There are a couple of things I ain't too fond of, but all in all, I think it is a good unit. Time will tell, that is if I live that long.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 07-23-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

You da man Tom!!!! My hero.
    Once you get your water time and get it figured out, get in the boat with me and show me all the in's and out's. :-)
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    You da man Tom!!!! My hero.
    Once you get your water time and get it figured out, get in the boat with me and show me all the in's and out's. :-)
    I hoping you would show me how to use it. I just know what the buttons do..
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Good luck on retirement @ 54 I am thinking or wishing for it too.

I have been looking at the 997 and may be buying it. I have a matrix 27 on my boat now. If it was you where would you mount the two. (Stick steering boat)
    Thanks Sam
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

CONGRATS ON YOUR 797 I have the 997 & love it.I done same thing you did I played with mine for about 3hours in the simulator mode learing how to run it,then took it to lake after I got off work for the next 3 days just to learn on how I needed set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang it guys, I just bought a new Eagle, now ya'll start talking about all this new fangled stuff. Gnnnnnnnnn.

Hope you enjoy your retirement, CP. I am over 65 now and don't plan on retiring any time soon. Would like to have more fishing time, though. Retiring may be the only way to get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you guys make me sick!:rolleyes: No way I can afford one, and here you guys come talking about how good they are.......sickening.:D

Now, as long as I'm sick of you guys you might as well get out on the lake and find some cool stuff, and get some pics of it to post for me.:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    Yep, you guys make me sick!:rolleyes: No way I can afford one, and here you guys come talking about how good they are.......sickening.:D

Now, as long as I'm sick of you guys you might as well get out on the lake and find some cool stuff, and get some pics of it to post for me.:D :D :D
    yeah and for the rest of us that can't justify the expense!!!:rolleyes: notice I didn't say can't afford it?
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

LOL:D Notice I DID say can't afford it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman
    yeah and for the rest of us that can't justify the expense!!!:rolleyes: notice I didn't say can't afford it?

Post Thanks / Like

justify fishing equipment

well, maybe I can justify NOT buying something,
    like "If I buy this new boat I'm gonna have to sleep in it
    because my old lady will take the house and my shed"

or "I can get four more crankbaits, OR I can eat lunch this week"
    Hey buddy, You gonna use that cup o' dried noodles??? :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast