Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sonar

What sonar do you guys use has anyone got any of the new humminbird sideview units yet ? I was thinking of getting something with real time sonar so I can know what is there right when I go over it the garmins I use even on fast seem to slow

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Matrix 27 and really like it. I has the RTS, split screen. and dual beam transducer
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure I am going to invest in a Hummingbird Matrix 37 this week. I believe you need at least a 37 model to be able to use the sidefinder transducer. I am not sure I am going to invest in a sidefinder transducer this year, I want to see what the 90 degree transducer will put on the screen first.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a humingbird wide . i have had it for years. it has the sidefinder transducer . i put it on the troling motor . it showes fish under docks ans toward the bank . i hardley used it . i got a new eagle for troling and put the transducer on the troling motor where the sidefinde was. yhis one showes to the side . i was at the lake last weekin and was tied up to the pilings at a rr trussel it showed the fish was to the right . that was under the pilings , just to try i turned the motor ariune and it showed them to the left. .
    my humingbird showes wide narrow and duel then change tranducers to side .i have had it for 8 years . got it used from my brother inlaw .
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the side finder for the humingbird was removed to put the new finde transducer on it . i have it lying under the consol . i can hang it over the side and check under the docka and anywhere off to the side . going to figure a way tomount it on the boat .
    retired and now i will always fish

Alan Guest

I just bought a Matrix 37 and have only used it 2 or 3 times. The real time and the triple beam gives you a better view than any other units I have used. There is also a rebate on the 37 for a free barometric preasure monitor. I don't know if it is worth the money, but I have thought about investing in the optional smartcast wireless link so you can cast up under docks or over brushpiles without driving the boat over it. Has anyone used the wireless link? If so what is the quality?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how much value the barometric sensor would have although I know barometric pressure does affect fishing. I can usually get it on TV. But, if it is free, I would want it. I have heard mixed reports on the Smart Cast option. Some say it doesn't get the best picture, other say it works fine. It would be something I may invest later on.
    Have you hooked up a GPS to your 37 unit yet? I would be more interested in having a GPS hookup myself. I want to be able to refind brush piles. The bottom line is that there are a wide variety of options you would have with a Matrix unit and that would be key to me.

Alan Guest

I agree 100% on the gps. It is almost if not as important as the sonar unit. I use a garmin handheld gps that is mounted on the console of my boat and the sonar is at the front of the boat. It will definitely be nice to look at one unit and see both pieces of information.

Post Thanks / Like

What Garmin model do you have? I would like to know which models can be hooked into a Matrix 37.

Post Thanks / Like

The Matrix 37 is a good model, I have it hooked to my trolling motor. One thing that is good about the if you have it set to a certain view it will show you a to which side the fish/structure are from a top view. I have had this unit for about a year, now and love it. It is steps above the older humminbird units. Dont let your past history stop anyone from purchasing this unit. Also you can purchase a additional cable and it will connect your handheld gps units to give the matrix locations on the screen. It will not show the maps on your handheld thou. I have a garmin legend hooked to mine.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast