Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nimrod Stakebeds (Pics)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nimrod Stakebeds (Pics)

Since the fishin' isn't so hot, with all the extra water we have, NIMROD and I got together at his house and he showed me how he has been building his stakebeds. I got these pallets from work so we were only out a little time and a few galvanized nails.

NIMROD suggested that we put about 3 stakebeds to a spot. He has had good luck with bigger crappie building them like these.

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

How much weigh do you think it will take to sink these?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

NIMROD said since we removed a lot of boards off the frame usually 4 or 5 rocks. He said he has a bunch of them out there already and they weren't hard to sink.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

We make 8x8 with 5 rows of uprights and 7 boards on each upright. It takes 8 used concrete bolcks to sink one. You slide the blocks over a upright to keep it on the matt. We have close to 400 of these. Lot of work, but it does pay off. We have a workboat that has a conveyor on the front. We just put one on there, roll it off and mark the spot. Eventually you will want enough in each depth of water, to fish all day. Depth of water is a key. What ever depth you end of finding crappie in on a certain day, stay in that depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Catchin30, That sounds interesting. would like to see pics of your stakebeds and your boat you put them out with. I think we will eventually end up with an old barge to put them out with.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Is it important to have the differant lengths of uprights? Would they work as well if all were the same length? also, they are kinda short, how deep you putting them?
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I've always read where varying the height of the stakes is a good thing to do. The crappie can relate on top of the short boards and next to the long boards. I have some out now that are 7 feet long stakes. We seem to always catch the big slabs closer to the bottom anyway. Plus its easier for people to find your stakebed if it's easier to hang up on.
    We plan on putting these shorter stakebeds in 6 feet or less water also. NIMROD said by setting the depth of your bait a couple of feet off of the bottom you will be right over all the short boards and just bumping into the longer ones.
    We're also talking about driving huge mats of stakes in 3 feet of water during the winter level of 342. That way in April when it is at summer pool (345) they will be in 5 to 6 feet of water with 2 to 3 feet of water over them.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I bet Nimrod can sing like a mocking bird just looking at those bird legs.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRPEPPER
    I bet Nimrod can sing like a mocking bird just looking at those bird legs.
    DP
    Better watch out old buzzard. :rolleyes:
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

How well do those show up on a depthfinder?

I have an endless supply of pallets I can get from work...I just might have to try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast