Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need some advice please

Post Thanks / Like

Default need some advice please

I fished Flint Creek today and struck out. There was a bass tournament and boats were zipping around everywhere. That must be the clearest water in Mississippi. We are going to Perry Lake tomorrow. Anybody have any advice for me on Perry? The water temp at FC was 58 today so they ought to be fanning the beds. What do ya'll think?

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

well, my advice is start somewhere around 8-12 feet. Then simply eliminate water and areas. Move shallower or deeper, according to your catch. No matter how many fish are on the beds, there are always fish suspended either waiting for the right time, or just having finished their business. I woul dsay at 58, there will be some fat females hanging around waiting, as well as some males fanning the beds.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters
    well, my advice is start somewhere around 8-12 feet. Then simply eliminate water and areas. Move shallower or deeper, according to your catch. No matter how many fish are on the beds, there are always fish suspended either waiting for the right time, or just having finished their business. I woul dsay at 58, there will be some fat females hanging around waiting, as well as some males fanning the beds.
    Thanks David for the advice. In hindsight you were right on. I searched high and low and found them stacked on brush tops on drop-offs in 11 to 13 ft. of water. Surface temps of 59 and 60 degrees. Vertical jigged many colors..no bites at all. Even the minnow dippers struck out. Tried shallow on wood, 6 and 8 ft. on wood...nothing. They just wouldn't bite. Perry Lake is really small and the water clear enough for algae and bottom weeds to grow. Not really my favorite type of lake. I may try it again someday but think I'll go back north to what I know.