Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shrimp bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default shrimp bait

Hi, I'm a little confused(normal) using shrimp for bait was reading a post from 4/2006 some say boiling, some soaking in salt water some said drying ????? What is the best way to toughen up shrimp so they stay on hook. Raw shrimp seem to get soggy on me and pull/fall apart easily ---Thanks Jack
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I usually buy shrimp that hasn't been frozen and leave the hull or shell on them. They seem to hold together better for me.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Why not try ....

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat
    Hi, I'm a little confused(normal) using shrimp for bait was reading a post from 4/2006 some say boiling, some soaking in salt water some said drying ????? What is the best way to toughen up shrimp so they stay on hook. Raw shrimp seem to get soggy on me and pull/fall apart easily ---Thanks Jack
    ...boiling them in salt water, then drying them out :D

Seriously though ... I wouldn't be putting Shrimp on "my" hook -- I'd be cooking those dudes and putting them in my mouth :p I just don't see the justification of using such a good tasting critter, to catch another good tasting critter. At least not as long as I can catch them on something I "wouldn't" consider eating, myself. Heck, I'm not even very fond of the idea of using Chicken Livers for Catfish ... since I'd just as soon eat the "bait", as I would the "catch" .... LOL!!

I don't know exactly what you're trying to catch, with this Shrimp ... but, I'm not going very far out on a limb to say you're probably going to peak the interest of any Catfish in the area ... and the Bluegill/sunfish are probably going to be nipping & pecking your Shrimp meat, to pieces, from the moment it settles in the water.

There's a lot of other possible bait, to be used ... and possibly better than Shrimp ... for whatever species of fish you're after. A one time outlay of money for a cast net or dip net, will provide you with many years of "cheap" bait ... lasting you much longer than the same amount of money's worth of Shrimp. And, depending on which one you get/have, I can certainly help you catch some bait with it ... assuming, of course, that these species of baitfish are present in your waters. (I use a cast net to catch Gizzard & Threadfin Shad ... a dip net to catch Brook Silversides)

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Wanting to use the shrimp for crappie as I have had some really good catchs with it. Last time I was shorefishing with grand kids two people near us was having field day on cats with shrimp on shell--don't know if it was fresh cooked or ?, just trying to up catch rate -- did order a bait pump also & nice site U folks have here. really enjoy the info
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Around here you can buy "bait shrimp" which are not for human consumption. They are very cheap too.

Post Thanks / Like

You ain't gonna get much cheaper than salad shrimp. Let them dry out a little to toughen them up. I don't have much experience using them for crappie or bream. They are real good for trout though.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."