Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why soakem?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Why soakem?

I've noticed a lot of you soak your crappie over night. Why? I soak salt water fish to get the fishy taste out but I've never soaked crappie, bream or perch. And they never have that fishy taste. Just curious.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I soak the fillet's to make them a little bigger. I dry them out just a few minutes before I cook them so they will fry better. I notice that soaking them gets all the blood out of them that they may have had. Plus, any little peice of fin or skin will just fall off after soaking them.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

do you soak them in water or milk?
    Last edited by Kokanee King; 02-19-2005 at 10:02 PM.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

water, but I know some who soak them in milk.

After drying them from soaking, I put them in flour, dip them in an egg wash with egg and milk, then corn meal. The filets seem to fry up bigger for some reason after soaking. Last night was the first batch I have cooked this year. I cooked enough crappie for the entire teaching and administration staff at the high shcool I teach before Christmas. Am I a nice guy or what.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I soak em in a solution of 1tbl salt to a quart of icewater only for about 10 mins. That gets the blood out. I rinse em and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store em in ziplock freezer bags. They will last a long time.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guy, so I am not the only one who soaks. If you will place 3-5 cap fulls of white vinigar in salt water mix and leave 8-12 hours before freezing (if thay last that long)
    it will remove all undesirable strong flavor. David and Kunes method are ideal. They work well for me.