Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can you fix a transducer cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you fix a transducer cable?

I have an Eagle 320 on my trolling motor and the transducer cable has a nick in it from the tm resting on it. It will not give a deth nor does the graph work. It also makes a poping sound from where the nick is. Can you splice the part that is broken? Thanks

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

it has been done before with liquid tape and heat shrink tubing. The main thing is to make a water tight, or air tight seal at the spot to keep out moisture.

Post Thanks / Like

When I permanantly mounted my transducer to my new boat, I cut off several feet of extra cable that wasn't needed and spliced it back together. It works great, although the spliced part is not in the water.
    Make sure when you do splice it, that you wrap your repair in aluminum foil before your final waterproof wrapping. This is "shielding" that will help keep any outside electrical radio frequencies from leaking into your wires and giving your unit errent signals.
    So, you want good wire to wire connections, soldered is best, then heat shrink tubes around each of those, then foil shielding, then maybe big heat shrink around it all, and then I'd use Marine grade GOOP brand to seal all of that from the water. But that's just what I would do. GOOP is really good stuff. My Father in Law was the company's jet pilot until he retired two years ago. He has a free lifetime supply of GOOP products, delivered right to his door whenever he wants it. Way cool ! I've used the stuff for years before I ever knew him.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubing

When you cut your wires and before you soilder and shrink tube them back together you can slide a length of plastic tubing over the wires long enough to cover from the foot of your trolling motor up past your mounting bracket on the boat. This will keep your wires from getting cut as easy. I use the plastic water line that hooks up your icemaker on your fridge it is the right size and it is very tough. I cut three transducer wires before I figured this one out and since I've cut none in four years. Good luck

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

mike28nc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Glowgood Jigster View Post
    When I permanantly mounted my transducer to my new boat, I cut off several feet of extra cable that wasn't needed and spliced it back together. It works great, although the spliced part is not in the water.
    Make sure when you do splice it, that you wrap your repair in aluminum foil before your final waterproof wrapping. This is "shielding" that will help keep any outside electrical radio frequencies from leaking into your wires and giving your unit errent signals.
    So, you want good wire to wire connections, soldered is best, then heat shrink tubes around each of those, then foil shielding, then maybe big heat shrink around it all, and then I'd use Marine grade GOOP brand to seal all of that from the water. But that's just what I would do. GOOP is really good stuff. My Father in Law was the company's jet pilot until he retired two years ago. He has a free lifetime supply of GOOP products, delivered right to his door whenever he wants it. Way cool ! I've used the stuff for years before I ever knew him.

Can you provide what unit you have. I am wanting to do this to my hummingbird unit. some say you cant do it others say you can. I have 20' or cable and only need 8'.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

lowrance told me a long time ago cable length does not matter,you can cut,splice or wharever just shield, and seal

Post Thanks / Like

This is good to know especially when you need to run the wire thru obstructions in the boat and dont want to drill a hole large enough to run the plug thru.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I followed slabologist advice...on a Humminbird....I had almost cut the transducer cable in half with the trolling motor head. It works perfectly ..the tubing is a neat trick.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good ideas.

I use spiral wrap to protect my cables. I don't have to cut the cables using spiral wrap. But, nothing wrong with cutting and splicing cables if done properly. Sounds like you guys got it down pat.

Tom

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"