Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rods again

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods again

Someone here gave me an idea. I can run 2 more rods from the front of my boat by pointing them almost straight ahead. I figure I need to use 14 or 16 footers to do this so they won't get in the trolling motor. I need light weight rods comparable to Sam's SS but just a little more back bone. WM makes some 14 and 16 footers, how to they compare with Sam's as far as weight? Or any other suggestions?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default comparable....probably

The WM rods are for Sure not as light as the Sams SS. On the other hand though, the WM rods are a lot more durable. I wish I could recomend another long pole for you but, the only 3 long poles I have ever used are BnM, WM and browning. For what you are going to use them for I don't think the weight of the WM rods should even be an issue.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Rods

Someone here gave me an idea. I can run 2 more rods from the front of my boat by pointing them almost straight ahead. I figure I need to use 14 or 16 footers to do this so they won't get in the trolling motor. I need light weight rods comparable to Sam's SS but just a little more back bone. WM makes some 14 and 16 footers, how to they compare with Sam's as far as weight? Or any other suggestions?

Bill H.
    Chesapeake, Va

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    The WM rods are for Sure not as light as the Sams SS. On the other hand though, the WM rods are a lot more durable. I wish I could recomend another long pole for you but, the only 3 long poles I have ever used are BnM, WM and browning. For what you are going to use them for I don't think the weight of the WM rods should even be an issue.
    I to do not think the rod weight would be a big issue as if spider rigging and fish straight out the front you would be using rod holders. Unless you have more than 2 arms then I guess you may want to hold your rods.

But this was a good question about the rods for the length and how much back bone they should have. As I am a fairly newbie to this crappie fishing and totally new to this spider rigging I had be wondering the same question and thought about posting it also. Thank you Bill for doing it for me.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

I was running 2 WM's 16 ft's out the front and 6 14 ft. WM with them. I saw no advantage to that as I don't run fast enough with the down rods to get the line in the trolling motor. I have gone to 8 14 FT. in a semi circle. I had no problem with the lenght or weight. They are heavier than 14 fts as they were designed for trolling crank baits. I found the 16 footers a little stiff for any weights less than 3/4 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    I was running 2 WM's 16 ft's out the front and 6 14 ft. WM with them. I saw no advantage to that as I don't run fast enough with the down rods to get the line in the trolling motor. I have gone to 8 14 FT. in a semi circle. I had no problem with the lenght or weight. They are heavier than 14 fts as they were designed for trolling crank baits. I found the 16 footers a little stiff for any weights less than 3/4 oz.
    Just wondering what 14' WM rods you are using?

Wally Marshall Tightline Special Rods
    or
    Wally Marshall Universal Crappie Rods

They have they both on sale now and want to buy a couple this season.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

whiplash Guest

Default Rods

I have ran 8 -14' wally marshall [old style] for 2 yrs.--works great---but if I were buying now I would get the new spider rig by B&M ---more backbone and you can buy new tips---can,t buy tips from BPS

Post Thanks / Like

BnM and Wally's are the only crappie poles I use for trolling and tightlining. Stick with the best!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    Just wondering what 14' WM rods you are using?

Wally Marshall Tightline Special Rods
    or
    Wally Marshall Universal Crappie Rods

They have they both on sale now and want to buy a couple this season.
    I use the universal. The WMT's are new this year, except for the 16 footers.
    If I were going to look at buying any of the WMT 14 ft's, I would go to BPS with a short line rigged up with the weight I generally fish with. Rigged so I could just clip it to a rod with a snap. Hook it on both rods and check the difference in the tip action. I like a little bend as the bite is sometimes light and the ability to see a release of pressure is as important seeing the tip shake. I also like all rods the same lenght and action so I can see any change in bend which may indicate a snag or other obstruction. (including a crappie)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Rods

I just ordered some 14' and 16' B'n'M Pro-Staff Trolling Rods, made especially for trolling (spider-rigging). I've heard nothing but good stuff about these new trolling poles, it's strong, sensitive and very durable. I will let you know more about these poles when I try them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sams Super Sensitive, I had one used it, caught 4 fish and it snapped in 1/2 on the 5th one. I still had the price sticker and plastic on the cork. BPS gave me a new one, have not usedit yet, anyone els have any experience with the rods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast