Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Painting a 12ft Aluminium Jon Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice on Painting a 12ft Aluminium Jon Boat

I have been working on an older jon boat. Putting a new deck up front and carpeting the rest. But I am thinking about repainting the boat and I am wondering what is involved in tackling this project. I would like to paint it the same color as my truck.

If anyone has any advice it would be great.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I did that with my boat. I used Rustolium (sp?) I would recomend getting one of those power sprayers to do it.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes a special paint to adhere well. My friend at LegendCraft sprays an Acid to etch finnish on new metal. Then sprays a special type of paint. I've used other paints and had trouble with them peeling off.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to a picture of my boat --> Photo by Rango

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...hlight=redboat

The project took me one day to do. I first took the boat and cleaned it at the carwash then taped off the rails. I first primed the boat in grey then used the rustolium (Again SP?) red on the out side. I just left the interior with the grey primer. There has been very slight peeling in the inside of the boat where the gas can sits and some wear in the floor. Other then that the interior has held up pretty good.

The only damage of the exterior is a scratch on the bow from either a tree or dock (I forget). But he outside red (two coats) has not peeled.

If I can find one showing the boat before and after I painted it I'll post it, but the origional color was a aqua color.

-REDBOAT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. Do I just use any type of Rustolium or did you use a certain type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aape23
    I have been working on an older jon boat. Putting a new deck up front and carpeting the rest. But I am thinking about repainting the boat and I am wondering what is involved in tackling this project. I would like to paint it the same color as my truck.

If anyone has any advice it would be great.:rolleyes:
    O.K. Do this if you want something you won't have to worry about coming off and makes a great finish.... Clean your boat throughly makeing sure all areas are clean with no contaminants. Do this after sanding and feathering all edges.
    Get some Benjamin Moore Industrial Maintenance Coating- Universal metal primer. 1 gallon will be plenty. Spray on with a good quality spray gun using about 40 P.S.I.

After recommended drying time mix and use Benjamin Moore Industrial Metal Coating Aliphatic Acrylic Urethane Gloss in choice of color. You may get a flatter finish if desired. This is a 2 part finish so you will need some Benjamin Moore Aliphatic Urethane Gloss hardner M75-85. Apply with gun using about the same air pressure. This should go on well but be careful that you don't cause runs. Hold your gun anywhere from 12-16 inches back.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Carl,

I need to bring my Jon boat to you and let you paint it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

i used a brand called rust-cat made by coronado paint co. it is a marine grade as well most good paint stores will have there brand of the same dont know what kind of finish youre after but a good old fashioned paint brush still works and i spray for a living
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

The primer I used was Rust-Oleum Latex Galvanized Primer (Grey)... and the The red paint I used was Rust-Oleum High Performance Enamel (Oil Based)
    I bought them from Lowes

Post Thanks / Like

Wash with soap and water first, let dry, then clean the surface with acetone or laquer thinner before doing anything. Sand any loose paint, wipe down with vinegar, let dry completely, then prime with a good quality primer, then scuff and paint. There is a product called Alumiprep that is perfect but it's pricey and only available at auto paint shops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast