Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: minn kota V2 Ap

Post Thanks / Like

Default minn kota V2 Ap

Does anyone have one on the new models(2007) I have read and researched alot and bad things I have heard is the AP are noisy when running and response can be slow. I am looking at the 55 V2/AP for my 18 ft Fisher. Thought about a 24 volt system but dont really have any place for a 3rd battery. Any help or recomendation would be great

Post Thanks / Like

I have the older 24 volt system auto-Pilot by Minn Kota and wouldn't trade it for anything. I haven't been in the boat with the new '07' models, so I can't help you there. IMHO there is nothing better than an auto-pilot Minn Kota.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I got the new Terrova 24v 80 lb with the universal sonar and the autopilot with the co pilot adapter kit. I found that with the electric steer it took some getting used to when i first got it in the spring while i was jig fishing around cover for shallow water fish. the response does not seem slow to me, but different from the cable steer. when i was jig fishing i was usually moving slow and the motor is quiet on the slow speeds, now when you run it at the higher speeds, there is more noise than i would like, but i only use the higher speeds to move to a different location or to keep stable in high wind while vertical fishing, but the noise of the water against the boat in higher winds makes the trolling motor noise a non issue. I also use the trolling motor for pulling crank baits and with the auto pilot and co pilot you really have a lot of freedom from having to monitor the trolling motor all day. I fished yesterday pulling 5 poles with crank baits and the batteries lasted 6 hours, and i was running from 1.7 to 2.0 mph. I really like the trolling motor overall and would recommend it. the copilot and universal sonar eliminates a lot of clutter on the front of the boat ( the transducer cable comes out of the top of the motor and runs thru the coiled power cable and if you use the co pilot there is no cable to a foot petal)
    Last edited by frontfisher; 07-16-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a Minn Kota Vector 80lb thrust with the 360 degree turning radius. It also has a swith to go from front troll to back troll. Excellent results. Motor is quite & very efficient. I love the big yellow arrow on top that shows which direction you are trolling.
    The Fraz

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Autopilot

I INSTALLED A NEW 80LB RIP TIDE TERROVA AUTO PILOT/CO PILOT ON MY NEW TRITON 196 TA CRAPPIE BOAT. GREAT TROLLING MOTOR ON A GREAT BOAT!

I RECENTLY SOLD THE SAME TROLLING MOTOR (06). THE NEW VERSION IS SMOOTHER, MAKES LESS NOISE, AND IS MUCH EASIER TO GET IN AND OUT OF THE WATER.

http://MONKSCRAPPIE.COM

Post Thanks / Like

I am using the V2 45lb. thrust on my boat and love it. Response time is not as fast as a cable steer, but the quiet running and infinite speed control makes up for that. The turning head makes noise, but still is not as noisy as the rattling motorguide i took off the boat. The steering takes some getting used to, but i wouldn't trade it for a motorguide anyday. The digital feature makes for a long day of trolling without dead batteries, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to everything willsjwills said. I changed from a MG to a V2 55 lb 12 volt and couldn't be happier. I don't have the auto pilot. The steering motor is a little noisy, but it is smooth as compared to the jerky, clanky MG I took off. I trolled yesterday in a tournament constantly for about 4 total hours, not to mention the stop and go of jigging and casting, and the motor only used half the battery power. I think that's my favorite feature on the V2 is the digital maximizer. My old MG would kill a battery in no time trolling. I have no complaints about noise in low or high speed operation. Great motor!
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have the new 70 PD with Universal Sonar. Did not get the AP, but can add it if needed. My first time out with it, it made a loud scream which was something new to me. The steering motor is noisy in my opinion, but I have not had a Power Drive motor before. I have been used to a Motorguide Brute 54lb on my Fishing boat and it is very quite. I bought the Power Drive motor with a Fishing model Pontoon. Haven't had time to test it a lot. Will be trying it under various conditions in the near future. Will post my findings. Anyone who has experience with this motor, would appreciate your input.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I GOT THE 70v2 AP/CP. I LOVE IT. IT AIN'T NOISY, BUT THEN I DON'T HEAR VERY WELL. I LOVE IT. I WILL GET ANOTHER IF I LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO WEAR THIS ONE OUT. MINE IS ON TRACKER 175. 3.7 MPH SPEED WHEN TROLLING. DID I SAY I LOVE IT?
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 07-19-2007 at 08:33 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a terrova 55 with auto pilot and co-pilot. I love it. Motor is real quiet, to quiet at trolling speeds, I'm thinking about putting a pilot light on it so I can tell when its running. The remote takes a little practice but works great. Easy on the battery too. Response time for turning is good. One word of caution, make sure that you slide the adjustment collar all the way to the base amd tighten it when you stow the motor. I didn't and mine deployed at about 40 MPH, destroyed the shaft but didn't come off the boat, thank goodness. Called minnkota service to find out what it was going to cost to repair and was shocked when they said it would be covered under the warranty, one time only. Didn't cost me a dime and it took less than two weeks to get it back. If I live long enough to wear this one out I'll buy another one.