Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin 172C

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin 172C

I have decided to buy this unit...I have had such good luck with the GPSMAP76S that I will stay with Garmin...Is there a big advantage to having the external antenna? I fish inland lakes only...

Old man needs a bigger screen...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

To me it would depend on where I'm fishing. My hand held unit picks up really good in certain areas and not so well in others. If I had a mounted unit, I would get the external antenna. The better the signal you can get, the more accurate it should be.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

Don when I was buying mine [5300c chartplotter] I ask the factory about that---they said if nothing on the boat blocked it they were as accurate as the external ant.---had mine about 4 months and it locks on and stays hooked up just great
    Your right about old folks needing bigger screens [haha]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

DonG I am available for adoption now - I need a bigger screen and a trolling motor ...just so you will know what to put in my christmas stocking
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I have decided to buy this unit...I have had such good luck with the GPSMAP76S that I will stay with Garmin...Is there a big advantage to having the external antenna? I fish inland lakes only...

Old man needs a bigger screen...
    Occasionally my 276c looses connection. It has the stick antenna. I usually loose connection as I get close to a high bank. This 797 has an external antenna. I mounted it on my anchor light shaft (I got a 4 foot anchor light unit). I didn't loose connection with the 797 yesterday, but I did loose connection with the 276c. The 276 is mounted aside my sonar so I can see it. Probably too low in the boat, but what the heck.

People looked at me this morning with this rig on my light pole. I guess they think I am a crazy old man. They prob right. I call it the "plug and play" antenna. haha

High is good. Remember the old TV antennas? Hmmmmmm.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Garmin 172C with the built in antenna. I was playing around with it in the garage the other day, and it locked in to my position without any direct view of the sky. With this unit, I think that you would do just fine without the external antenna.