Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: depth finder help

Post Thanks / Like

Question depth finder help

Hey Guys,
    The depth finder on my father-in-law's boat will not work once I hit about 10 MPH. It just flashes the last depth that it displayed once I start moving very fast. It works great while trolling or while motoring at slower speeds, but just quits once I hit a certain speed. Any ideas on why this is happening?? It's a Garmin Fishfinder 160. Thanks in advance!
    --Shonn

Post Thanks / Like

where is the transducer mounted? Sounds like when you move the transducer gets in some turbulence and loses the signal.

Post Thanks / Like

air in between the transducer and the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deph finder help

I would say more than likely that about 50% of the boats do that, it's like Sac
    said it's air bubbles between the bottom of the boat and the transducer.
    I have a bass tracker with the off set hull in the back and it does the same thing, I just live with it instead of moving the transducer and drilling more holes in the boat.

srm

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Could it be ....

that your transducer isn't pointed correctly, or it's free swinging in the bracket ?? If it's not correctly pointing in line with the bottom of the boat, or loose in the bracket ... speed will cause turbulence, or cause the transducer to point behind the boat. Either case will cause you to lose signal pickup.

Had a similar "losing signal at speed" problem, on my partner's boat (older model/flat bottom Tracker TX17) .... and the problem was a loose transducer, that was being forced to point behind the boat, by water pressure (running on plane). I fixed it with duct tape :D ... securing it tightly in the bracket, and pointing (angled) slightly forward --- no problems losing signal, since.

The flashing depth is an indication that you've lost the pickup of your signal (lost bottom contact), whatever the cause. Hope it's as simple to fix as my partner's boat.

....luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much guys! The boat is parked in a slip for the season, so I won't be able to get to the tranducer very easily. I might hop in the water and see if I can feel around for it though. I'm pretty sure it's mounted right at the back of the boat and it would make complete sense what you are all saying about!
    Thanks again to you all! I love this site--it's so great to be able to dip into all the knowledge of the members! It's like having a hometown full of crappie fishermen! :-)
    Thanks again!
    -Shonn