Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bumping bottom vs. spider rigging for summer crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bumping bottom vs. spider rigging for summer crappie

Recently Cane Pole has reported having success with 'bumping bottom' with a Kentucky rig..and Kelly Matthews is reporting good returns from spider rigging - both methods using minnows.
    I'd be interested in a discussion on the merits of each, the factors why each method was chosen for their particular lake, and the importance of boat control in each. Equally interesting would be a description how much reliance is placed upon electronics. These two approaches seem to be solid techniques for mid-summer crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been spider rigging this year for the first time, I'm using Capps & Coleman rigs and am catching more crappie than I ever have. 51 last weekend fishing over strucuture in 12'-20' of water, water temp up to 87. I catch most my crappie with the bottom bait, be it a jig or minnow, not sure I'd have as much luck with a sinker hanging from the bottom. I just slowly move back and forth and around the structure I'm fishing.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you have read this or not.

http://www.crappie.com/articles/spider.htm
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff
    Likes Jon Bain LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    Don't know if you have read this or not.

http://www.crappie.com/articles/spider.htm
    Good read, thanks
    Support your local search and rescue, get lost....

Silence is golden, silver if you use duct tape......

Post Thanks / Like

BleuGhill
    I choose to spider rig over bottom bumping because it puts more lines in the water and your covering a wider dept range also. When spider rigging with clients we run nine rods out the front of the boat. Most times when fishing ledges here on Weiss I start out with the boat in 14 feet on the ledge so with nine rods out we are covering a wide depth range from 8 to 20. Boat control is critical when spider rigging you have to go slow, when you find structure you just stop and work that peice of structure thural before moving on. Bottom Bumping is alot easier as for as boat control because your only using one rod per person agaist three per person spider rigging. You have to have good electronics when spider rigging, most important you have to have your electronics setup right. One thing that helps is to tilt your transducer about 5 degree's forward that way you start seeing the structure before you accually get on top of it. You dont have to have a $2000.00 dollar depth to spider rig or bottom bumping get a good quality depth finder set it up right and your ready to go...
    Hope this helps... See you on Weiss
    Last edited by Kelly Matthews; 07-14-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly...Are you using a 3 way swivel or weight and bait on the same line?
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

That's outstanding information Kelly and thanks for sharing!
    You said:
    "when you find structure you just stop and work that peice of structure "

You mentioned that you were targeting the channel ledges, but could you explain more about what type of structure along the ledges that would be reason for you to stop and work slowly? And by working slowly, are you advising to come to a dead stop and let the minnows hang for a bit, or to just gently ease forward/drift back type of lingering (or circling...) over the target area? Give us an example of what you might see on the graph by the 'looking ahead' method? Once again, thanks for your excellent description!

Although there are good articles about spider rigging here on crappie.com and on the web, sometimes it takes a bit more discussion for us to decide which approach we need to apply to our own lakes. We don't really read very much about bottom bumping at all yet we know that it is a productive way to fish. As Kelly points out (as I asked him to do), each method has it's merits and negatives.

This forum has a significant number of beginners that come here to learn many basics that our seasoned members assume are common knowledge. So it's good to be specific in our discussions as TapOut64 and Kelly are doing. Then we can try each method and see where our comfort zone is.

And speaking of comfort zone, I'd like to pose one more question to the group: Corps of Engineers lake summaries show that dissolved oxygen and water temperature combined are indicating that about 14' is the 'comfort zone' for fish; I'd like comments from folks that fish shallow lakes (like Weiss) and deep water lakes - and hear how they've adjusted to their lakes with either of the two methods (bottom bumping/spider rigging) - and are they seeing this 'comfort zone' of oxygen and temperature come into play as an important factor. Or is it that fish are adjusting to structure/cover regardless of oxygen and temp?

Post Thanks / Like

crappiechappy
    I dont use any swivels I tie on a #2 eagle claw snelled hook that has the 10 inch leader and drop down about 14 inches and tie on a 1/2 oz weight. I also use 12 lb Sufix line when spider rigging this lets you pull loose from hangups without losing any tackle. Straighten your hook out and keep fishing.

BleuGhill
    When I am working the ledge I keep the boat slowly moving forward until I start seeing some type of structure showing on my graph. Here on Weiss our ledges are loaded with stumps and also brushpiles that I and everyone else has put out. When I start seeing the edge of the structure start showing on my graph I will come to complete stop and work the edge first. Most times you can just set right on edge of the structure and bump your lures against the stump and you will pick a few fish everytime. When you have worked the edge real good start easing forward. I like to sit right on top of the structure and work it thural before I move on to the next piece. I think most times here on Weiss the fish on the channel ledges will adjust to structure/cover regardless of oxygen and temp. I know right now we have High Temps and low oxygen content dew to no rainfall and the lake is 3 feet belowe full pool, this puts the crappie tight to the structure and hesitant to bite unless you put the lure right in there face.
    See you on Weiss
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can catch all the fish I can eat with one pole. The main reasons I catch fish regularly is:
    1. I know my waters.
    2. I know my equipment and how to use it (and how it works).
    3. I don't have to catch a thing to have a good day on the water.
    4. It is a hobby, not a job.
    5. Fish ain't biting, you gotta move. Don't linger (and hope).
    6. I try different techniques. Don't depend on just one method.

I have tried spider rigging. I am good at "tanglin". Lots of places I personally fish, you can't spider rig. Well, you can, but you gonna bend them poles in the brush. I know, I put the brush out just to get to watch spider riggers get caught in my "web". haha

You don't need expensive electronics to fish either way, but it sure helps with the catching.

I use different techniques. Depends on the time of the year. I will try just about any method.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

In the summer i usually just vertical jig with one pole over brush piles. Mostly do all my trolling in the winter and fall.