Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Artificial Baits

MNJeff Guest

Default Good Artificial Baits

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and had a question. Hopefully this is the correct place for my question. The lake that I fish contains a variety of Panfish, including White Crappie, Black Crappie, Perch, and Sunfish. I've only caught them using nightcrawlers while targeting Carp and Suckers. I would like to start fishing only for Panfish as they are fun to catch and the lake holds some niced sized ones.

The area where I fish is somewhat rocky. I'm wondering what would be some good artificial baits to use?

Any help would be much appreciated.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Oh Jeff .....

Quote Originally Posted by MNJeff
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and had a question. Hopefully this is the correct place for my question. The lake that I fish contains a variety of Panfish, including White Crappie, Black Crappie, Perch, and Sunfish. I've only caught them using nightcrawlers while targeting Carp and Suckers. I would like to start fishing only for Panfish as they are fun to catch and the lake holds some niced sized ones.
    The area where I fish is somewhat rocky. I'm wondering what would be some good artificial baits to use?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    are you ever going to get a load of suggestions to that question :D

But, seriously ... small jigs, Roadrunners, Beetlespins, in-line spinners (like Roostertails/Mepps), and minnows are good baits to use for Crappie, Perch, and Sunfish. Use baits that imitate the natural forage base of the water you fish ... be that Shad, minnows/fry, craws, emergent larvae, or whatever. Present them slow, steady, and slightly above the depth the fish are suspended at (esp Crappie).
    I'll now let the other members chime in on what they'd suggest :p

Welcome to Crappie.com !!

....luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah what he said. Lots of folks use tube jigs too and a bait pump. Those small spinners work well during times when other jigs just won't catch fish. And be prepared to hook a few bass in the process as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Try out some of the baits from Southern Pro. They offer a large variety of baits that will help you catch all of the fish you listed. Good luck I hope you catch your limit...See Ya on the Water!

Here is a link to the Southern Pro products:
    http://www.southernpro.com/product_showcase.cfm

Darrell Baker
    Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
    PO Box 778
    Centre, Alabama 35960
    Tele/ 256-927-2232
    Cell/ 256-557-0129
    www.weisslakecrappieguides.com

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbusters
    www.slabbuster.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm w/ Darrell. Especially, Southern Pro hot grubs for the crappie.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy had it right - that question will get you tons of different ideas - there are probably a thousand different tactics for crappie fishing.

lots of small jigs - preferably something with a little chartreuse color to it.

tubes, twister grubs, marabou, buck tail, the list goes on and on. If you like tied jigs, there are probably half a dozen guys on this forum that tie/sell custom hand-tied jigs.

You can tip jigs with minnows, worms, or some neat stuff called crappie nibbles from Berkeley. They're like a tiny marshmallow that smells and probably tastes (I'm not brave enough to try one) fishy. The bait pump mentioned above makes your crappie nibbles go farther by pumping them into the body of a tube instead of simply impaling it on your hook.

Some folks do a lot of trolling too - little crank baits, or jigs.

Another tactic that some folks can address better than me would be using a slip bobber with a jig under it.

One of the guys on the site makes tiny spoons for crappie, and if the stringer photos he posts are any indication, they're deadly.

Casting with slow, steady retrieves work best for me with jigs, or the neat little method dubbed "vertical casting" by our very own crappiepappy (see articles on crappie.com home page)

As superdave mentioned - don't be surprised when you hook into some bass. My personal best largemouth went 6 lbs, was caught on a 1.5" hot pink crappie tube - was hit while I was counting down for it to sink to depth.

I just got to thinking - a good place to get some ideas would be a poll/post I made not too long ago: http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=43039
    check that one out to get some insight as to what people prefer to use.

Happy slabbing!!!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

:D Welcome from Alabama.

Here's my post http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=43308 on my favorite artificial bait/ lure/ jig. MINE:D That post has has about 1400 views and 43 responses.

Here is a great post by KCBH on a weighted bobber to fish small 1/64 lures/ jigs for panfish. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=19609

It is in the archives.

You are at the right place to get a lot of answers to all your questions.

old ship
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 07-13-2007 at 02:02 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,Welcome From Tn.!! Hard to beat a 1/16 oz jig with a black/chart. tube!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default dont forget

try some of the small 2 inch beaver tail plastics, something close to brown will work. Whether its green pumkin seed watermelon pumpkin seed or what ever, to me its just plain simple BROWN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast