PDA

View Full Version : Electric or cable controlled foot-trollers?

Indy-Travis
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Hey guys, I have a buddy who is going to upgrade his bow mounted troller. His old one is a cable control, and he is wondering about sticking with that or getting one of the electric foot pedal motors. My fishing is done out of a small boat with a tiller motor, so I am no help to him, but I thought some of you guys could help out. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the electric controls? He is wondering if the long cable is going to be in the way and if it might bo to sensitive or "jerky" compared to the cable control he is used to. Thanks for any insights. -Indy

Barnacle Bill
02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I prefer the electric control. No jerks and not sensitive. If anything, maybe a little slow but you get use to it real quick. For me, the biggest advantage is you don't have to keep your foot on the pedal all the time if you have it on constant run. It won't turn on its own like a cable control.

Ranger375
02-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Agree with IBNFSHN
The electric control has another advantage that you have a continously variable speed control rather than specfic set speeds. Another thing that I liked about the electric control TM I had on my old boat was I could fish from either the front or the back of the boat when fishing by myself. Got several stange looks when cruising around setting in the back and moving at a pretty good clip.

There is one disadvantage that I found that the contacts in the control box have a tendency to become corroded with the moisture. Was very simple to take apart and polish the contacts up wit contact cleaner.

The unit I had was 38# thrust MinnKota 765MXT with electrical cable control, not the wireless remote type. I wish it had been a higher thrust motor and would haved traded out on the Ranger I currently have.

whiplash
02-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Agree with IBNFSHN
The electric control has another advantage that you have a continously variable speed control rather than specfic set speeds. Another thing that I liked about the electric control TM I had on my old boat was I could fish from either the front or the back of the boat when fishing by myself. Got several stange looks when cruising around setting in the back and moving at a pretty good clip.

There is one disadvantage that I found that the contacts in the control box have a tendency to become corroded with the moisture. Was very simple to take apart and polish the contacts up wit contact cleaner.

The unit I had was 38# thrust MinnKota 765MXT with electrical cable control, not the wireless remote type. I wish it had been a higher thrust motor and would haved traded out on the Ranger I currently have.

I ran a MK 55 autopilot 2 years---worked great in FL. but was way too slow around the trees up north --- at least for me

Bart
02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Ranger,

If you did not have remote control how did you operate it from the back of the boat?

ncnat
02-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Ranger,

If you did not have remote control how did you operate it from the back of the boat?
Most of the MK's have 18' cords on them.

papasage
02-18-2005, 08:27 PM
i have one and like it .it is slow when you need to turn quick . like otherpost you git use to it . for trolling it cant be beat .maby a uoto pilot might be better .

ShilohRed
02-18-2005, 08:57 PM
I have the M/K power drive with auto pilot. And will never go back to a cable again.
Set the auto pilot and make small changes with the foot controller.
Pete

slabtroller
02-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Add the remote to the autopilot and you will again say "I'll never go back". The thing is great to have and getting all the cable mess off the boat is another plus. The remote makes the power drives much more sensitive also.

whizkids
02-19-2005, 11:45 AM
I have an auto pilot with remote and I love it for trolling.
For fishing vertical over structure I would like to have the foot control cable back.
The electric foot control is way to slow in my opinion. I used cable foot control for 40 years before going to the electric control. I like it for trolling. I don't think it is as good for pin point structure fishing. All around if you do some trolling, the electric controls are the way to go however.

Cane Pole
02-19-2005, 06:37 PM
I can't drive one with cable. I roam all over the place. Guess I need driving lessons. I have one on by Bass/Jon boat and I hate it. I have a Motorguide Excell on my pontoon and love it. I modified the the electric foot control and now steer the pontoon with my fingers. My feet no good. Left part of one foot in southeast asia. They never sent it back...lol

fatboy
02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
No problem Tom, you certainly get around well for an injured lad

Kokanee King
02-19-2005, 11:58 PM
I just cant plain afford one of the electric ones i wish i could but i seem to have gotten used to the cable. now if one of you would laike to buy me one that is fine, or a new outboard.LOL

speck chaser
02-21-2005, 01:20 PM
I use a minn mota autopilot wish i had purchased it years ago great for trolling
foot control would be better for structure fishing rreally depends on whether you will be trolling or structure fishing

crappiehunter
02-26-2005, 08:01 PM
I think you just drank one two many beers out of fatboy's cooler!
I can't drive one with cable. I roam all over the place. Guess I need driving lessons. I have one on by Bass/Jon boat and I hate it. I have a Motorguide Excell on my pontoon and love it. I modified the the electric foot control and now steer the pontoon with my fingers. My feet no good. Left part of one foot in southeast asia. They never sent it back...lol

VietVet68
03-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Welcome home Brother!