Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rod?

When spider riging,do you have to have long poles with reels,or can you use the long poles that only have the top eye to tie your line to?
    what is the best rig to tie when spider riging?
    thanks--feel free to give all the details you want,because I know very little about this way of fishing and want to know more.The water I fish is 49 to 55 degrees right now and I would like to know how to and where to start.I do not know anybody that fishes this way and I'm going to have to ask people like yourselves for advice and methods.I think this would be a great way for my 3-yr old son to have fun fishing too.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sam
    Here are some good websites with spidder rigging information
    http://www.crappiestuff.com/spider_rigging_101.html

http://www.crappiestuff.com/page/page/678512.htm

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...f0403_Crappie/

Here in Illinois we can only have 2 poles out so spider rigging is not a real option for us. I do like to use the longer poles to get away from the boat and put lure into laydowns or brush and when doing a modified spider rig (less poles out) I use 1 - 12 foot pole and one 10 foot pole both on the same side of the boat. have them set for different depths and different lure until find a pattern.

Hope this helps
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Sam I fished with a guy a week ago today. And we were spider rigging. And he had the 16 ft poles like your talking about. we were also fishing 16 ft deep. And the poles worked great. I plan on getting about 12 of the 13 ft and 6 of the 16ft and 4 of the 20 ft poles.
    Pete

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It is really what you like best. I like to use different lengths so I can stagger them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Rods

Sam, I just ordered some 14' and 16' B'n'M Pro-Staff Trolling Rods for spider-rigging. I like the longer poles for the front of the boat and then down to 8 or 10' off the side of the boat. The longer poles, the better for alot of reasons. For one, the longer poles helps keeps the baits away from the trolling motor and boat to prevent spooking the fish. Another is when you get a fish-on, you can lift the poles straight up and can swing the fish right over to the boat without tangling with the other lines and poles. No need to have longer poles off the side of the boat since you have room to fight the fish there and less chances of spooking the fish with the trolling motor. I will have an article coming about slow trolling for crappie (spider-rigging) in the Articles Page soon, explaining our basic equipment, rigs we use, boat control and hooking and playing the fish.