PDA

View Full Version : Rod & Reel Choice

ShawnIN
07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Going to pick up a couple new rods & reels next week. Was in Gander Mountain and ran across a couple rods and reels I really liked. Now I got to decide what size and action I want. Was considering a 5'6 ultra lite and a 6'6 medium lite action. what do you guys think use and what do you think?

FishnLine
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
What style fishing will you be doing?

ShawnIN
07-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Going after crappie. I like catching about anything, but like crappie the most.

FishnLine
07-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Will you be casting, tight lining, jigging, trolling, etc. You should get some good suggestions from others if they know exactly what you'll be doing the most. There are a lot of choices and some of them may not fit your needs.

ad1974
07-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Probably my favorite all around rod for everything is a 7 ft wally marshall.There are times when the longer rods are better and sometimes a shorter one,but that length seems to work for about anything.

deathb4disco
07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
For tossing jigs, I like light or ultra light actions. My rods go from 4.5' to 7.5'.

slabbandit
07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I like spinning outfits but always keep a couple Zebco 33 outfits on hand for the wife and friends to use. They are very good for a wide range of uses from casting RoadRunners to catfishing.

CrappiePappy
07-13-2007, 09:37 PM
that it would help with possible suggestions, if we knew what methods you intend to use ... most often ... and which rod you would employ for that method.

Here's a basic breakdown of what I have/use it for most :

5ft Quantum UL ... shooting docks w/jigs
7ft Sam Heaton (IM6) ... casting jigs
8ft Duckworth FnF (IM6) ... casting jigs, FnF casting, flatline trolling
6ft Browning/Lew's (med/hvy) ... casting Roadrunners, larger baits w/braid
7ft Mitchell Zero Gravity (micro-lite) ... casting jigs, & slipfloat/live bait

As my primary method is casting jigs, I prefer the 7-8ft lengths & light action rods. My micro-lite & UL rods are my "fun" rods, yet still have a specific purpose.

Matching the reel to the rod, as well as to the primary purpose/method, is an important point to consider ... also, making sure that the rod & reel are a balanced set is important. Line size being used, will also have to be taken into consideration ... as it applies to the rod action and reel/spool size.

As far as your particular choices ... who am I to say ?? I might even consider choosing a 5'6" med-lite & a 6'6" UL :D

.... cp :cool:

ShawnIN
07-24-2007, 04:27 AM
Been real busy and this is the 1st time I have had a chance to get back. I primarily like to use a slip bobber and minnows and also ise a jigs. Mostly verticle jigging. Thanks for the responses so far. Going down on wed. to Gander Mountain, so I'll be picking up a couple new rods then.

crappiekeith
07-24-2007, 09:14 AM
For tossing jigs, I like light or ultra light actions. My rods go from 4.5' to 7.5'.

I so agree !