Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod & Reel Choice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod & Reel Choice

Going to pick up a couple new rods & reels next week. Was in Gander Mountain and ran across a couple rods and reels I really liked. Now I got to decide what size and action I want. Was considering a 5'6 ultra lite and a 6'6 medium lite action. what do you guys think use and what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

What style fishing will you be doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Going after crappie. I like catching about anything, but like crappie the most.

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be casting, tight lining, jigging, trolling, etc. You should get some good suggestions from others if they know exactly what you'll be doing the most. There are a lot of choices and some of them may not fit your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably my favorite all around rod for everything is a 7 ft wally marshall.There are times when the longer rods are better and sometimes a shorter one,but that length seems to work for about anything.

Post Thanks / Like

For tossing jigs, I like light or ultra light actions. My rods go from 4.5' to 7.5'.

Post Thanks / Like

I like spinning outfits but always keep a couple Zebco 33 outfits on hand for the wife and friends to use. They are very good for a wide range of uses from casting RoadRunners to catfishing.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I would have to agree ...

that it would help with possible suggestions, if we knew what methods you intend to use ... most often ... and which rod you would employ for that method.

Here's a basic breakdown of what I have/use it for most :

5ft Quantum UL ... shooting docks w/jigs
    7ft Sam Heaton (IM6) ... casting jigs
    8ft Duckworth FnF (IM6) ... casting jigs, FnF casting, flatline trolling
    6ft Browning/Lew's (med/hvy) ... casting Roadrunners, larger baits w/braid
    7ft Mitchell Zero Gravity (micro-lite) ... casting jigs, & slipfloat/live bait

As my primary method is casting jigs, I prefer the 7-8ft lengths & light action rods. My micro-lite & UL rods are my "fun" rods, yet still have a specific purpose.

Matching the reel to the rod, as well as to the primary purpose/method, is an important point to consider ... also, making sure that the rod & reel are a balanced set is important. Line size being used, will also have to be taken into consideration ... as it applies to the rod action and reel/spool size.

As far as your particular choices ... who am I to say ?? I might even consider choosing a 5'6" med-lite & a 6'6" UL :D

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry it took so long to post again.

Been real busy and this is the 1st time I have had a chance to get back. I primarily like to use a slip bobber and minnows and also ise a jigs. Mostly verticle jigging. Thanks for the responses so far. Going down on wed. to Gander Mountain, so I'll be picking up a couple new rods then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    For tossing jigs, I like light or ultra light actions. My rods go from 4.5' to 7.5'.

I so agree !