Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinkering again - scents

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tinkering again - scents

I had a few jig head rejects laying around and tried my hand at making chenille/marbou jigs. While running a finished sample through the aquarium to get a look at it, I started wondering..................

I would be fishing this either tipped with a minnow or a nibble. Then I started thinking about the injection kits some of you guys use with tubes. Has anyone ever tried smearing a nibble(s) into the chenille of these type jigs? I'm thinking it would be the best of both worlds - with twice the mess! (I did think about that, too)
    Wouldn't the scent last longer being caught between the wraps, then just putting a nibble on the hook?
    I'm under the understanding that the scent injector is designed for filling tubes. Could it be used for external application in this situation.

This is the style of jig I'm referring to, usually seen on a roadrunner platform:

For those not familiar with chenille, the green body is what I'm referring to. Smear that with scent.................actually, now that I'm thinking about it, even that cod oil FalconSmitty and Jerry B. let out of the bag may even work.(?)
    Last edited by Big Zig; 02-18-2005 at 09:49 AM.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I use that C.L.O. I know it stains but the fish don't care. I have only landed 1 fish using nibbles and it was a green carp. Maybe the crappie where I fish don't like them. I'll keep trying them till the end of the summer. I have not used them at night yet but will try it soon. That cod liver oil worked the first jig I squeezed it on. I have some red spray that I use but have seen no difference with it.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Big Zig, I also make my own marabou/chenille jigs. I use mostly the kodiak scents in the syrenge style injector. I just rub it on chenille part of the body, I have not noticed staining or discoloring to the jig. And it seems to last for 2 or 3 fish, this stuff seems to last longer than you would expect. You will be very happy with your results.

Also if you get more into making jigs take a look back in the post I posted a pic of mine. They make a sparkle chenille, that I think you would like. Adds some good flash in the water and they make several colors. Also look at krystal flash, I put in with the marabou for added flash.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I will save you a search, here are some with the flash chenille.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Good stuff!

Hey Zig, there are 2 things I would give the nod to - Kodiak soaking scent, or else Fish Formula products. Both work excellent for what you want!
    <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question Zig:

The texture of the crappie nibbles would make it hard for it to stay on the chenille IMHO. I would think that Kodiak Paste would work better for an outside application. That or Dr. Juice which is a oil based substance would work better when applied to the outside of the chinnel. These liquids would be asbsorbed into and onto the Chenille and last longer. The crappie nibbles would simply wash off faster if you crumble them up.

The crappie nibbles are designed to Slowly dissolve on the hook and if you break them up and increase their surface area they will dissolve way too fast.

But you should test this out and see for yourself. I am just guessing and my guess is based on the texture of the crappie nibbles.

I do know that Dr. Juice works very good on the chenille bodies. That I have actually done myself and caught lots of fish by adding Dr. Juice to those type of jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    I had a few jig head rejects laying around and tried my hand at making chenille/marbou jigs. While running a finished sample through the aquarium to get a look at it, I started wondering..................

I would be fishing this either tipped with a minnow or a nibble. Then I started thinking about the injection kits some of you guys use with tubes. Has anyone ever tried smearing a nibble(s) into the chenille of these type jigs? I'm thinking it would be the best of both worlds - with twice the mess! (I did think about that, too)
    Wouldn't the scent last longer being caught between the wraps, then just putting a nibble on the hook?
    I'm under the understanding that the scent injector is designed for filling tubes. Could it be used for external application in this situation.

This is the style of jig I'm referring to, usually seen on a roadrunner platform:

For those not familiar with chenille, the green body is what I'm referring to. Smear that with scent.................actually, now that I'm thinking about it, even that cod oil FalconSmitty and Jerry B. let out of the bag may even work.(?)
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

A few drops of Cod Liver Oil will soak in and last a long time. It not only adds scent it changes the feel - very slimey! Been using if for years. Just don't get it all over your boat, graphs, GPS and clothes - right Richard?
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

For that style of jig, I would soak it in Fish Formula liquid, or spray it with their aerasol. They have different kinds of scent, but I like their "gamefish" the best.
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like

I like the cod liver oil idea, I will certainly try it.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy who Jerry taught and convinced about the codliver oil that liked it so much he took some in a old nasal spray bottle to a local crappie spot. He was catching 3 to 4 to one of everyone else. Everyone wanted to know what it was and he was telling them it was a secret formula. He wouldn't tell them what it was but he would sell the bottle to them for $20. He'd move down the bank and start fishing next to someone else and start catching more crappie. He had a bunch more in his pocket and kept doing this one by one until he made about $100 that afternoon. All I could do was shake my head, but nobody was complaining because they all started catching a bunch of crappie. lol.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast