Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulling a boat behind a pop-up?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling a boat behind a pop-up?

Anyone ever done this or seen it done? I've seen plenty of boats pulled behind travel trailers (pull-behind campers) but never a pop-up. I have a 17' aluminum Lowe with a 50 4stk so its nothing too heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a guy at duck camp once with a ball on back of his pop-up,
    asked him what he pulled and he said flat bottom jon.

But I sure would be nervous about it other than real short trip and real
    slow. I asked around a lot before I got my slide-in, about towing behind
    campers, and was told by numerous folks that it could be done behind
    a fifth wheel, but was a no-no with two bumper hitch trailers.
    Just what I was told
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of figured as much. I just vision the combo snakin all over the road and making me a nervous wreck.

Post Thanks / Like

No way would I even try that.
    I did a lot of research on towing my boat behind a 5th wheel camper. And everything I read. Stated it has to be a 5th wheel camper to tow the boat behind it.
    Also I bet you would not be able to run over 30 MPH as the trailers would start swaying so bad.
    http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html
    43) With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Manitoba (maximum length 23m.).
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I used to pull a 16' Grumman behind a Jayco 12' box popup. Get to the campground safe then drop the boat, set up camp, launch the boat, ready for a snack in less than an hour. It was some of the best times I've ever had camping with the wife and boys and I wished I still had the setup.

If your popup is one of the larger ones with a heavy frame you should have no problems. I had a custom made hitch for the camper that attached to the bumper and the rear frame for strength. Driving the train is not that difficult either, just remember that any small move with the truck will be even more amplified at the boat. Smooth and straight driving fixes that. Also, if both your camper and boat trailer has at least 4' tongues the train follows with little draw when turning. Another issue is state laws. Some states don't allow tandem pulling or they have an overall length limitation. However, most will not say or do anything unless you are unsafe when driving or cause a wreck, etc.

Hope all works out well for you and your plans!!!
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it many times with a 12' Jayco and 17' War Eagle boat behind it. It can get swirly at times but if you're careful you won't have any trouble @ all. When you're switching lanes going 70 down I-55, you can't switch over too quickly, but ease into it. We had a local welding shop install a hitch for us and haven't looked back since.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about doing this myself. I have a sway bar with my pop up. I wonder if that will help with the overall swaying. I believe here in SC, it's legal as long as you don't exceed the overall length. Whatever that is.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that have done this.. Is it more difficult to to back up?

Post Thanks / Like

It's almost impossible to back both of them up... My advice on this is to not get yourself in a position where you're going to have to back up. You will have to unhook the boat every time. Unless you're job is pulling around two trailers like some of the 18 wheelers have...

Post Thanks / Like

Saluki its agianst the law in your state to triple pull.I have a buddy that was doing so headed to Ohio and you all state trooper pulled him over about 50 miles inside state lines and made him drop the boat pull his camper back to Mo. and then return for his boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast