Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rigging rod holders??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging rod holders??

I'm getting me boat all fixed up and I was woundering how high off the water most folks have their front rod holders. I'm looking at using 1/2" thread rod to hold up the bar off the floor of the boat. The boat is a center console style and its about 25" from the side rail to the floor.

What is the opinion of the Wally Marshall "tite line special" for this purpose?
    I think its rated 1/4 to 1oz of weight.

Also, I have a in ground 125 gallon garden pond made out of black polyetheline plastic. I have been putting all me left over minnows in there and most seem to make it. I plan on getting an 120vAC aireator for it,but should I feed the minnows? If I do, what? Purena minnow chow?? Bread crumbs??
    It might be a month before I need them again.

Thanks in advance!!
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Any kind of pond fish food would work or even goldfish food. For aeration just throw in one of those small pond filters with a fountain. The water splashing from the fountain head will aerate the water just fine.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

For tightlining, I have my rod holders set so the butts of the rods are about six inches above my knees. That equals about 29-30 inches from the floor to the rod. The tips are not more than 12 inches from the surface of the water.

For pulling/trolling, the rod holders are mounted to the gunnels.

Post Thanks / Like

here's an after thought on the pond, you might want to put something over part of it for shade if it is in the sun all day. Right now all my koi and goldfish are under the water lilies in my pond, about 700 gal. Yes I've got a few minnows in there but due to the size of the pond I can't catch them.:rolleyes: :o
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wantabe and Matt, I need some shade on me pond and I'm going to set in the front seat and measure just above me knees for hight of the rod butts. Matt, won't that make the rods point down hill? Is that better than level?
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. In my opinion, the closer your rod tips are to the water, the better. Makes it easier to see a bite.

For pulling lures, I like the rod tips high enough to let the line clear the motor when I turn the boat.