Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lowrance X135 Settings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance X135 Settings

For any of you that use an X135 or are familiar with them, what sensitivity setting do you prefer? If you have any other advice for this unit, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Start at about 50% and keep going up on the setting until you start seeing some surface clutter in the first couple of feet of the water column. On most lowrance units that I've used it's usually around 76%. I hope this helps you.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

I have an x135 and normally run it between 75-84%. At the higher level I get some surface clutter but I just ignore that. I generally like to run it where I just get a second bottom reading. That way I can really pick up bottom detail good (looking for those lazy catfish).
    Crappie spawning and morels popping up at the same time. What was God thinking when he made that schedule. It's pure torture every spring deciding which to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I will have the sensitivity up as far as 92%--I have found that adjusting the sensitivity up or down from lake to lake will get you the best look at what is in the water below. I also use the upper and lower limits settings which will allow you to hide the surface clutter and in addition to that it will give you a more defined picture to look at.---example---if the the fish are @ 12' deep-the upper limit will be at 5' and the lower limit will be at 20'--if the bottom depth is 25' then you will be concentrating on at 15' portion of the water column instead of the 25' portion. The ping speed is crucial as well. I troll and the best ping speed for me is at 0%. Anyway--there is my 2 cents worth. Knappy
    Get the net!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy
    Sometimes I will have the sensitivity up as far as 92%--I have found that adjusting the sensitivity up or down from lake to lake will get you the best look at what is in the water below. I also use the upper and lower limits settings which will allow you to hide the surface clutter and in addition to that it will give you a more defined picture to look at.---example---if the the fish are @ 12' deep-the upper limit will be at 5' and the lower limit will be at 20'--if the bottom depth is 25' then you will be concentrating on at 15' portion of the water column instead of the 25' portion. The ping speed is crucial as well. I troll and the best ping speed for me is at 0%. Anyway--there is my 2 cents worth. Knappy
    I troll and the best ping speed for me is at 0%..

Knappy, could you explain this further...I have always use a very high setting...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I troll and the best ping speed for me is at 0%..

Knappy, could you explain this further...I have always use a very high setting...
    I usually have my ping speed set anywhere from 50 to 75%. It's new to me, so I'm still learning it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered what the best ping setting was as well? I've always run mine at 50 to 75%.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance

Good advice above. I've found that depending on depth and water clarity, something in the 75-85% range will work most times. That said, I always go in reverse of what was posted, that being I start at 100% and then go down, not the reverse. I think it's too easy to stop short of where you should be by starting low with a clear screen. I'd rather start way high with a cluttered screen and work down from there.

Also might check your surface clarity and noise rejection settings. I usually like to turn these off if conditions allow. On the ping speed deal, I'm also curious to hear the explanation for zero setting. I usually set for either 50 or 75 in most cases. In a trolling situation I could see where you'd want 100, but I've never heard of anyone setting at 0. It might clean up your readings a little by slowing the ping rate but then that goes counter to why you increase sensitivity and decrease filter settings

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I can think of about the 0 ping speed setting, is when you see fish on the fish finder, your lure is already in the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though the ping is at 0 there are still signals being sent--for me it is a matter of speed. This is the way that i think of it--i do feel it is all relative to water depth and speed---a ping is a signal that has been sent and returned to the transducer and a reading is given on the screen. At the zero setting there are still signals being sent--dont know why they gave the options of 0-100 %? --when the ping speed is moved to 100% the pings are going to be at a faster rate--this is helpful to me when i am going down the lake at a fast rate of speed--more than 10 mph--and i also see where it could be helpful at deep depths--such as 500 feet or more. when i troll my speed is from .7 to 1.2 mph-- when i set the ping speed at 100 i feel like the unit receives so many signals that it clutters the screen--when i put the ping speed at 0 the signals that are received appear more clear--it is a different clutter that the sensitivity clutter--it is the actual fish arch itself. deeper depths or faster speed are when i use the 100 setting----come fishing and i will be glad to show you. Knappy
    Get the net!