Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night Fishing advise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing advise

It's 90-deg and humid as all get out. I decide to try night fishing for the first time. I get two floating lights and get set up on a spot with standing trees in 17-fow. The lights bring in tons of 1" shad. My depth find is just a gray screen reading 4-ft. (in 17 fow). I fish minnows at depths of 12 and 8 ft. all night long and only catch 6 keepers. Light breeze all night long. WHAT CAN I DO to be more productive??

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest moving to deeper water if possible. Edges of creek or river channels, especially at points, bends, junctions, etc. They seem to be more concerned about being in deep water than having cover. But if you can find cover in the areas I've described, you're (almost) guaranteed to have a good spot to catch crappie.
    Last edited by eddiebhome; 07-10-2007 at 03:09 PM.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with eddie also try under bridges that have 15-30 of water they will hang out right on the concrete,shallow bridges are no good this time of year

Post Thanks / Like

During the summer it can be really slow at times. Try different areas and ask questions as needed and you'll find some productive areas.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you tried this but, try fishing 5-6 feet outside the light. Sometimes the bigger fish won't be under the light. Sometimes I will use a lighted slip bobber and cast around the light.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

SchwansMan Guest

Cabelas sells a breacket for hanging a lantern off of the side of your boat which will draw in bugs, Bugs will draw in baitfish and baitfish will draw in crappie.

I use 1 floating headlight, 1 Lantern, and 2 submersible and have pretty good luck, for this to be effective you really need hot temps during the day and patience and good conversation at night, it does work and dont be afraid to take previous advise by fishing the outer ring of light in the water ot just on the outside edge of the lit up water!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Actually SchwansMan ....

Quote Originally Posted by SchwansMan
    ............. hanging a lantern off of the side of your boat which will draw in bugs, Bugs will draw in baitfish and baitfish will draw in crappie.
    Baitfish are drawn to the light because the phytoplankton is drawn to the light, and they feed on them. "Bugs", per se, are drawn in by the light .. but, baitfish don't feed on them. Small fry, minnows, and Bluegill might feed on the bugs ... but baitfish have no interest in them. I'm using the term "baitfish" in reference to Shad species, only. And the term "bugs" is in reference to various species of flying insects.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Also read the article by rango on nightstalking in the articles section of this site, its very good

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Eddie, try deeper water. Also be very observant of other fishermen on your body of water, especially noticing locations with multiple boats.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF