Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig question....what size hook

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig question....what size hook

What size hook do you prefer on a 1/16 oz jig, #4 or 1/0. Just curious. I usually prefer the larger one, even with tubes.

Thanks
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi, Steve.....

Quote Originally Posted by Oksrt55
    What size hook do you prefer on a 1/16 oz jig, #4 or 1/0. Just curious. I usually prefer the larger one, even with tubes.

Thanks
    Steve

I prefer a #2 hook on a 1/16th oz. Makes it easier to tip w/a minnow or nibbles. Plus it seems the wider gap helps in getting a good hookset.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 jig mold's.One is for size 4 & the other size 2,I'm also like Bill I prefer the 2.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comments on hook sizes. It also mirrors what I see in what people want in custom jigs. You can tell the size of crappie in an area by the size hook they want on their jigheads.
    Most orders from the southern and midwestern states all want large hooks. The northern states opt for "standard sizing", or the sizes that are recommended for certain weight heads.
    Locally (Pa.), the waterways recieve heavy fishing pressure for their size. This makes finesse fishing a must, thus smaller jigs/hooks are the norm. Anything over 1/16oz is considered heavy, hooks over size 2 are considered large, and using line heavier then 6lb. is usually unheard of when targetting crappie.
    Here is one trick that is used to increase hook-up rates when using the small jigs that are necessary in our waters:
    Looking at a 1/16oz. jighead with a #4 aberdeen hook - if you open the hook gap up (about 10%), one will notice that more fish are getting hooked in the roof of their mouth, rather then in the thin membrane around the mouth. (reducing tear offs)

It's interesting to ship orders out to different parts of the United States. I can have a pack of 1/8oz. chartreuse heads w/a 1/0 hook and a pack of 1/80oz. chartreuse heads w/a #10 hook, both going to crappie anglers in different states, and know that each boat crappie. It just proves how diverse these fish really are.

Post Thanks / Like

I Like A 1/0-seems To Give Me A Better Hook-up Ratio! I Also Agree With Big Zig About The Hook Size Having Alot To Do With Your Area,fishing Preasure,ect. Good FiS hin To Ya!! Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

My uncle makes all our jigs heads and between the four of us we all like #2 after trying smaller and larger.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.