Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall planning...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall planning...

Since I am fairly new to this crappie fishing, I don't understand patterns as well as I should. I am wanting to take a fall trip, but don't know the fish movement in the fall. Do they come back shallow? Do they go on a feeding frenzy, fattening up for winter? What is the best time/month/temp to catch them?

Just some thoughts of mine that need a little help...

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

well, to be honest, the more I fish for crappie, the more I realize they really don't change that much. Well, they don't move around that much, that is. Where ever you find the crappie in deep water, they will move to shallower water during spawn and back out to the deeper water. In the fall, depending on where you frish, teh fish should be around 15 foot flats. They will be chasing schools of shad in the fall. I would suggest Tennessee, Alabam, Miss. or Georgia. The best suggesstion I could give is find a guide in the area where you plan to visit. Maybe even go to Weiss Lake. Pull your baot and get the guide to take you fishing the first day, then spend the remainder of the time fishing out of your baot using the same techniques the guide showed you.
    Last edited by David Waters; 07-09-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

The best Fall fishing on Weiss Lake is during the months of October and November. As the water temperatures cool down the fish really become active and are feeding on the large schools of shad. Most of the fish will be found in deeper water along the river channel ledges or around brush piles. Most of the time the fish will be in 14-20 feet of water but occasionally you will find them in the 10-12 foot range. Also on the Fall days when the sun is high, you can find the crappie laying under the docks that have deeper water...most of these are along the river channels and feeder creeks or close to by. The fish will move under the docks and suspend and you can catch them by shooting a 1/32 or 1/16 ounce Southern Pro Jig under the dock. I hope this info helps you out on whatever lake you are going to fish...See Ya' on the Water!

Darrell Baker
    Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
    PO Box 778
    Centre, Alabama 35960
    Tele/ 256-927-2232
    Cell/ 256-557-0129
    www.weisslakecrappieguides.com
    Last edited by Darrell Baker; 07-09-2007 at 04:30 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb mrwillis ....

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis
    Since I am fairly new to this crappie fishing, I don't understand patterns as well as I should. I am wanting to take a fall trip, but don't know the fish movement in the fall. Do they come back shallow? Do they go on a feeding frenzy, fattening up for winter? What is the best time/month/temp to catch them?

Just some thoughts of mine that need a little help...
    Black Crappie tend to come back shallow in the Fall, moreso than White Crappie. Flats with submerged timber/wood are good holding spots, as are stationary docks in deep water. They're following the Shad school's Fall migration back into the creeks. The cooling water signals leaner times ahead, so they're putting on the fat reserves.
    I generally make a Fall trip in Oct &/or Nov ... usually to Watts Bar Lake, in E. TN. (and that's primarily what I'm basing my opinion on) It may depend on what lake you had intentions on fishing ... as to "best time/month/temp". As well, it could depend on the particular specie of Crappie that makes up the bulk of that lake's biomass.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

We call October, November and early December in south central Arkansas THE FALL FEEDING FRENZY. As the water begins to cool off from summer temps (say back into 60's and 70's) the crappie will feed more aggressively and move shallower -- shallower depth or shallower water or both. If you want, click on the Informative Articles link below in my sig and go to the article entitled "Predicting Crappie Behavior." I think it will give you a more indepth explanation.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

my two cents for what its worth in north alabama my two best months all year was dec and jan. it was my first winter crappie fishin but last year on certain days they were extremely aggressive and sometimes as shallow as 4 to 5 ft of water but would hang out close to some drop offs. a treetop laying out out close to the main channel was a prime target but they might be close to the surface or they might be on the bottom. i think the sun was the deciding factor on that

Post Thanks / Like

from what i hear its pretty tough in alabama until mid nov. but im sure some folks do well.

Post Thanks / Like

I think depth really depends on the lake you fish. But, my favorite time is just after the hay fever season is over normaly at the end of October here in central Arkansas. At my favorite spot I look for them to be 8 to 10 feet deep. But, the whole lake averages just 6 foot deep.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."