Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Japanese Beetles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Japanese Beetles

Do you think these things would make good chum or bait? Im glad they don't bite or sting. I have been so infested with these darn things the last 2 years it is terrible. They will eat every leaf off my shrubs and they also love aspargus plants. I didn't get a single peach from my tree last year due to these critters. I put the bag traps out and boy do they work good. Only problem they must attract every beetle for a mile. That and they get too time consuming and expensive. I am going to try chumming with some and see what happens.
    Crappie spawning and morels popping up at the same time. What was God thinking when he made that schedule. It's pure torture every spring deciding which to do.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, get rid of the bags! They attaract more beatles. The next thing you want to do is treat your yard for grubs. Jap. beatles come from grub worms. You can treat the yard this fall or next spring. Or you can put down milky spore for grubs. It last 10 to 20 years where normal grub killers last 1 season. Sevan is a good spray if you want to spray them. You can also hand pick the beatles from your plants, if possible and put them in a bucket of water. I have never tried them as bait. Web worms that form on trees in the fall are good gill bait.

Post Thanks / Like

We get a ton of them here too. I'm thinking if you throw a bunch on the water and the crappie start eating them, I'd use them for bait too - stick a small hook in one and drop it in the middle of your chum.

Let me know if they work. I'll have the neighbor's 3 year old see how many he can catch for me (I might trouble convincing my ten year old son into catching bugs for me).

Post Thanks / Like

Blasted things! There everywhere, there everywhere. Between them and the moles I am about ready to give up on having a nice yard.
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EDDY CREEK BANDIT
    Blasted things! There everywhere, there everywhere. Between them and the moles I am about ready to give up on having a nice yard.
    THE BANDIT
    Yep, get rid of the grubs and you will get rid of the Japanese beetles and the moles. Moles are eating the grubs. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like mentioned earlier....get rid of the bags. The sex scent is attracting ALOT more beetles than you'd normally have. I usually just dust with Sevan (or anything similar) and this can also be purchased in liquid form to spray thru your garden spayer. Only drawback is this will need to be done after every rain until they take up at somebody else's yard that's lettinbg 'em have their way.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.