Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why an 8 Foot Boat!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why an 8 Foot Boat!!!!

Cohutta was close. I have been challenged to build a robot that can catch a fish and land the fish, then bring it to shore for "weigh in". The robot must fish from a registered (or registerable) boat. That is why I am looking for the eight footer. A smaller boat would be much easier to control. This has never been done before, so I accepted the challenge. Big problem is I cannot spend but $500.00 on the project. The project start date is April 1, 2005. I have one year to complet the project.

Thanks for all the input. It gave me some good ideas. By the way, parts donations (not money) do not count against the budget...haha..I don't know what I need yet except a boat....

I will be posting about this and asking questions as the project progresses...All input is vital and is truly appreciated...

Sincerely,

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Good Luck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Cohutta was close. I have been challenged to build a robot that can catch a fish and land the fish, then bring it to shore for "weigh in". The robot must fish from a registered (or registerable) boat. That is why I am looking for the eight footer. A smaller boat would be much easier to control. This has never been done before, so I accepted the challenge. Big problem is I cannot spend but $500.00 on the project. The project start date is April 1, 2005. I have one year to complet the project.

Thanks for all the input. It gave me some good ideas. By the way, parts donations (not money) do not count against the budget...haha..I don't know what I need yet except a boat....

I will be posting about this and asking questions as the project progresses...All input is vital and is truly appreciated...

Sincerely,

Tom
    ....I'm kinda pack rat, dismantled several copiers--motors, pcb&components...got all kinds of stuff squirreled away...used to work on auto-insertion equipment...let me know if I can be of help....
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,

Tom
    Let us know what you need. I'm a pack rat too.
    BTW, I like your new avatar.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if it would be useful but wife tried putting a credit card thru the paper shedder. Broke the plastic bars between the cutter blades. Got a new one. I decided that since it was headed to dumpster I would see if it could be fixed and sold at an auction. It proved more than it would be worth but I kept the motor and switches complete and they work great. if that would help let me know and I'll send it to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,

Tom
    This could be the beginning of a new reality TV show Tom. But instead of building "choppers", your building fishing robots.

Must a robot have a license to fish? Do robots brag? Can you rig it up to clean fish afterwards? Does there have to be a life jacket on board?

These are questions you must be prepared to answer when interviewed. ha.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

You do realize what the next project needs to be? After you pull this one off, and I believe we all have the confidence in you that you will, you'll need to make a robotic fish. One that searches out crappie, and brings 'em back to the boat. The 8' boat you and your new fishing partner are in................ :D

Can you fit your robotic fisherman with cameras for eyes and stay within budget? It'd be pretty cool to see what you see while on the water..............

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be interesting. Now when the snow is flying I can buy one of your robots to go fishing for me and still stay in the warmth of the house. maybe I could even win a tournament and not even get on the lake...LOL

Figure out what you need and post. I may even have something you need. I definitely what to be there for the test run to find out how the fish know to get on the hook...LOL
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

why not just work on the robot for now, I have no idea how that contraption is going to set the hook, then land the fish. I would borrow a friends boat for testing after its built. you can buy a reel with a motor but they are expensive and used for off shore. maybe you can post on an off shore website and see if some one will loan you one of there old ones that just needs cleaning or such.

what kind of stuff are you going to need? I hope you have some kind of idea already.

we'll hep ya if'n we can

Post Thanks / Like

Would a used 8 ft boat work If I run up on one?
    Or we might build you one out of wood.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Make the robot simple with one of those yo-yo's out over the water. Set the yo-yo at max tension and when it hooks one it could fly out the water into the boat. (LOL)
    Sounds like fun. Good luck
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast