Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depth finder?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth finder?

I have an Eagle 642 GPS/Sonar combo unit and have a power question. When I start the big engine the unit turns off (it is wired to the cranking batt.. It also turns off sometimes when setting still. What could be the cause? It did not do this when I first installed it. Thanks

Jason

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your battery is getting weak. Check connections and fluid level or you may have to replace it. What is happening is when you start your motor the voltage is dropping lower than what is required by the Eagle, so it shuts off. You can have this verified by having the battery load tested at your local auto parts store.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if there is an inline fuse, there could be faulty connection there, or anywhere else. Check all connections first. Had one that would do what that and it was the spring in the inline fuse. It was week and was not keeping the fuse pushed in all the way.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the inline fuse problem before with a graph before. I'd check it first.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like weak battery!!! go to autozone and they will check for ya..or u can check yourself by using other battery to test it..

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiechappy
    I've had the inline fuse problem before with a graph before. I'd check it first.
    If you use in line fuses, then try these spade type holders. Made by ATC and are waterproof. I would also suggest using some bulb grease on the fuse spades. This will keep corrosion to a minimum and help maintain good electrical contact.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

My unit did the same thing. Every time I would start the motor. The depth finder would shut down. It was on the connection at the batter.
    Pete