Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hull repair question/ suggestions please

Post Thanks / Like

Default hull repair question/ suggestions please

hey guys and gals, i was hoping someone might have some advice on what i can do to keep my boat floating awhile longer. im getting some places on the bottom of the hull wear the coating has worn off and the bare fiberglass is showing through. its not taking in any water yet and was wondering if there was something i could put on it to keep it from getting worse. i know to fix it right it will be very costly and i just dont have that option right now. im not really concerned about appearence its been a great boat so far and im looking forward really spending some time in it this fall and winter but i dont think itll hold up if i dont do something. i was thinking about using something like the stuff they use on the spray on bedliners or something similar if the is anything. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

check with ure local boat shop or body shop, there is some stuff that you can brusk on and when it dries it wont show the brush marks. the trouble is i cant remember what its called. i will show this to a guy at work and see what product he recomends

Stink
    Stinkies Daddy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could brush on some white gel coat. Its pretty easy to work with anjd doesn't leave brush marks. Whatever you decide you need to at least cover that with some resin to keep water out. A lot of people don't realize it but bare fiberglass WILL rot. I learned that the hard way.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    You could brush on some white gel coat. Its pretty easy to work with anjd doesn't leave brush marks. Whatever you decide you need to at least cover that with some resin to keep water out. A lot of people don't realize it but bare fiberglass WILL rot. I learned that the hard way.
    thats the stuff white gel coat
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

yea bama;;; you need to get that fixed as soon as you can. its probally absorbing water, you just don't know it and will defintly get worse quick.I'd use the white gel coat. It's easier to work with upside down. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

After you gel coat it you might wan to invest in a keel shield.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try to fix it your self, get a kit at any auto store, It comes with mat and resin , Put it on in layers in opposite directions, sand it smooth and paint, it may not match perfect, but will cost under $ 50.

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This would be a easy fix. Just sand it down good and paint on white gel coat. It will look fine.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys ill get on it if i can get off work someday

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Rowdy's suggestion and get a Fiberglass Repair Kit that has plenty of fiberglass cloth and resin. Sand the gel-coat back a ways from the damaged area and lay several layers of fiberglass cloth soaked in resin over the damaged area and extend it over the undamaged area where it's been sanded - it will not bond to unsanded gelcoat. Mix up small batches of resin in disposable paper bowls (like for picnics) and stir it with wooden Pop-sickle sticks. You'll need a new mixing container and stir stick for each batch. As long as the resin stays tacky between coats you can keep build up additional layers. Once it gets hard and shiny though you'll need to sand it before applying the next layers. It's a bit difficult to do up-side down but it can be done. Once you get used to working with the matt and the resin it's not all that bad. Wear disposable latex gloves, protective clothing (old, long-sleeved shirt) and eye protection. Just putting resin over the damaged area won't hold up very long. Do it up right and you won't have to worry about it for years.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast