PDA

View Full Version : Any computer guru's here

mperry
07-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm having some trouble logging into some sites. When I log in it does not give an error or anything but just tells me I am still not logged in. I am assuming that it is something in my computers setting but not sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

willsjwills
07-08-2007, 07:01 AM
are you using spyware removal tools? Sounds like spyware invasion of internet Explorer (Browser). If not log onto Lavasoft and download free spyware removal software and run it. Hope this helps.

mello_collins
07-08-2007, 04:48 PM
It could also be that your computer is not accepting cookies. these store the login info for many sites. Check your security settings and possibly try a different browser such as firefox. I really need more info.

shipahoy41
07-08-2007, 05:17 PM
also check for pop up blockers and security settings

ship

stinkies daddy
07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
It could also be that your computer is not accepting cookies. these store the login info for many sites. Check your security settings and possibly try a different browser such as firefox. I really need more info.

i'd say cookies thing

DrPerf
07-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm having some trouble logging into some sites. When I log in it does not give an error or anything but just tells me I am still not logged in. I am assuming that it is something in my computers setting but not sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated.
What operating system are you using (Windows XP, 98, etc.) and browser (Microsoft Explorer, Firefox, etc.). If you are using Explorer, download and install Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) and see if it resolves the issue. While not 'perfect' (no software is), Firefox is a somewhat more secure than Explorer.

If a site requires the placement of one or more cookies in your system, it will typically generate a message if your browser is configured to not accept cookies. If you can access the message board at "crappie.com" and not have to login each time, cookies are 'enabled' on your browser because that is how the site "remembers" your login information and logs you in 'automatically'.

Let me know if you have to enter your login information for "crappie.com" each time you access the message board. If you do not, there should not be a problem with logging onto other sites. The issue is at the site not your system in that case.

If you do have to login each time here, let me know the browser you are using and I post details for accepting/retaining cookies.

Regards,

Doc

DrPerf
07-08-2007, 05:31 PM
The point about popup blockers is also a good possibility. Dependent upon the site, logging in can be a multi-step process and your browser could be blocking a subsequent step and the first login step. Firefox will inform you of popups it has blocked and allow you to 'unblock' those popups either for just the session or permanently for that site.

The Firefox popup message will be at the top of the window, just below the window tabs, I believe. It should be easy to see and respond to.

Doc

mperry
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I have window's 98. Not real savy with computers so what exactly is firefox?

willsjwills
07-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Firefox is another internet browser that accesses the internet for you, like Microsoft Internet Explorer, but is a lot safer to use. It is a free download . Google for it. I have been using it for years, and would not even think of using Internet Explorer.

Sounds as tho Dr. Perf knows what he's talking about. I would listen to him.

wannabe fisherman
07-09-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm another with Willsjwills A computer repair shop put Firefox on my computer about 2/3 years ago and I haven't used IE since. It's a little different,but you'll get used to it real quick.

joejv4
07-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Sounds like you aren't accepting cookies. If it had to do with pop-up blocking, chances are you wouldn't get the login screen.

About FireFox - it's the way to go. A much better internet browser than IE - and it can be all kinds of customized to make for a much better internet experience.

mperry
07-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I do have to log in every time I get on the site even though I always check remember me. If I am not accepting cookies will installing firefox take care of that or is there something I need to change in my security settings? Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated. :D

joejv4
07-10-2007, 06:14 AM
You'd need to change your security settings on your browser - IE or FireFox so that you can accept cookies in IE it's under the Tools > Internet options menu and in FireFox, it's under Tools>options.

One thing you'll want to do once you start accepting cookies though, is periodically run an adware/spyware scan to remove any "tracking" cookies - they keep track of your browsing and report back to the sites that put them on your machine.

Lavasoft has a free program called "AdAware SE Personal" and Safer Networking Ltd. has a free program called "Spybot Search and Destroy". I run scans with both to keep my machines clean (one will often find items that the other misses)

Good luck!

Joe

mperry
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. Going to see what I can do with it. I do have the spybot and also AVG. What setting should I put my security on?

joejv4
07-13-2007, 07:07 AM
I use FireFox almost exclusively, only rarely using IE. In FireFox I select Tools > Options > Privacy and check the checkbox for Accept cookies from sites, and have the Keep Until: box set to Until they expire.

My IE is set with Privacy at medium, but since I don't use it, I couldn't tell you for sure if that would work.

mperry
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Ok all, I appreciate all the help. I downloaded firefox and reset the privacy settings but stillcan't log into some sites. Anyone have any other ideas? Don't mean to be a pain but this is aboujt to drive me crazy.:D

willsjwills
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
MPERRY you have a pm

bad_angler
07-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi. I'm a software/web developer (go check out MyFish.com (http://MyFish.com) folks). I'd say it's almost surely cookies. That how most content management systems(this is one) maintains state from screen to screen on the site.

mperry if you would kindly instant message me one of the site urls I'll look at it.

For all of you by all means check out MyFish.com (http://MyFish.com). We have a lot of free tools for anglers. 12 hour forecasts with hour by hour updates on predicted windspeed, humidity, prob. of precip. Our catch counter will summarize angler logbooks by state and we'll pass on to the local DNR the catch & release summaries of species by month and state. In the USA recreational catch data is a complete guess for fisheries management. We want to change that and encourage C&R as much as possible. Now for an abundant species like crappie I'd throw back only the smaller ones!!! MyFish.com (http://MyFish.com) has free personal pages just like MySpace, tides, forums, galleries. We just are getting launched. Check us out.

Thanks to my brother for showing me this great site!