Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: advice on jig fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default advice on jig fishing

I need some advice from all the jig fishermen....

I have never fished much with jigs until recently. I've got a few different color combinations and types in my tackle box and have been experimenting with them for a couple of months.

What I'd like to know is do you have a rule of thumb for color combinations/types for various water conditions or is it simply a trial and error thing each time you're out on the water?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Dark colors for stained water. Light colors for clear. Over the years my favorite jig color is solid yellow. It works in most all conditions for me. Chartruse is a good color. The fish seem to see it well. I think the main thing is presentation. Bump'em on the nose and they will strike. Crappie are lazy fish I think so they want to eat the most with the least amount of energy so don't be scared to use a 2 inch tube or jig.
    Casting Jigs.
    Spring fishing calls for the jig & float(slip bobber with jig from 1'-5' below) because the fish are shallow(1'-6' to spawn). But don't forget they still stay in staging areas and go back and forth to spawning grounds. You need to get it down to that 8'-12' range. Always tip that jig with a minnow on slower days. I start out with one and leave it off after I catch a few. If I keep catching fish I leave it off.
    I have never used much attractant but Jerry Blake uses cod liver oil on his jigs and if he does it it works.When I caught my biggest crappie cod liver oil and a minnow were on the jig.
    Trolling jigs
    I started trolling for crappie about the time I found this board last year. I still have so much to learn. One thing I catch fish on is the roadrunner heads and beatle spin with a jig or tube. The roadrunner types work best for me this month.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Smitty. I appreciate the info!!!

Gonna head back over to Blackshear and practice some more. :D

Post Thanks / Like

When ya going? I'll be there Saturday for sure...and depending on how I do on Saturday...maybe will stay the night and fish Sunday. I'll be putting in at the state park and will be around the tressel area. Red canoe. Can't miss me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Crappster. I'm not sure what day I'm going to be there. I had actually planned on taking the day off and heading over this morning but decided against it. Rather windy! I'm going to be out of town Saturday but was thinking that if the weather looked good, I may head over Sunday morning. If I make it, I'll holler at you. I'll probably start in the channel about a hundred yards from the tressel.

Hopefully, they will be a little more active this weekend than last.