Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding ultralight jigs

slabtroller Guest

Default Help finding ultralight jigs

I'm trying to locate jigs that are very light (1/64 or less) yet not super small. Does anyone make a jig that light with hook or hooks in the #2 range? It seems all the real light ones are also to small to use on larger fish. They keep pulling hooks or straightening them out.

Post Thanks / Like

All the small jigs that I've found have small hooks, Cabela's 1/64th jig are #6 Eagle Claw and strong, have landed stripers and cats up to 8lbs on them. Stamis has unpainted heads 100th on up with Eagle Claw gold that are pretty strong. If you can't find bigger at least look for quality small hooks.

slabtroller Guest

I have found several types with good, strong hooks but not what I'm in search of I'm afraid.
    Flipping the shore and trolling we often hook into large stripers and largemouth up to 15 pounds. Not to mention that the crappie average over 2 pounds. A small hook jig just doesnt cut it.
    I'll keep looking I guess or make my own.
    Thanks anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

Sure would like to fish ba lake where the avg. Crappie is 2#'s
    However set your drag loose it may help. Even with a strong hook horsing a big fish is danger in loosing him anyway, besides that make the good time last,. It may get like having sex few and far b etween.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i like the bass pro ones and the ones from eagle claw, but i wish that gamakatsu made some that small.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familar with jigs that small. But you may try using some Fly Fishing Flies and adapting them to your needs. Adding a very small split shot to the line could help get a small fly down to the correct depth. Flies are made with various sized hooks. It's just an idea if nothing else can be found

Quote Originally Posted by slabtroller
    I'm trying to locate jigs that are very light (1/64 or less) yet not super small. Does anyone make a jig that light with hook or hooks in the #2 range? It seems all the real light ones are also to small to use on larger fish. They keep pulling hooks or straightening them out.
    Regards,

Moose1am

slabtroller Guest

We like light, just don't like small.
    I just put in a call to the JCJ guys (local) and asked about it. They said they have a new patent coming for just such a jig but its only available right now to the local pro's they have doing the testing and will not likley be ready by the spawn this year.
    Oh well, at least we can get them soon. Wish I was considered a "pro" to them. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonder how many people kept quiet 'bout these here!

:rolleyes: I really thought someone else would of already gave up this info for you.
    These will do exactly what you are wanting. Full baskets to ya! Let me know how they work out for ya! <,"}/>{ Rippa

Design your own Clouser's

Clouser Minnow

Hey Crappie Chat, remember what I was saying at the restaurant last night? These are it! :D
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 02-17-2005 at 07:28 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

slabtroller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    :rolleyes: I really thought someone else would of already gave up this info for you.
    These will do exactly what you are wanting. Full baskets to ya! Let me know how they work out for ya! <,"}/>{ Rippa

Design your own Clouser's

Clouser Minnow

Hey Crappie Chat, remember what I was saying at the restaurant last night? These are it! :D
    I LIKE it and will give them a try. Still would like to be able to thread on a Kalin grub but may have to make some of my own.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Tim's right about the clousers, I tied a bunch this winter but haven't tried them yet, you could get some jig hooks the size you want and bar bell weights from 100th oz up to 1/50th oz or bigger and make your own jig heads. You can paint eyes or get some stick on 3D or prismatic eyes. You can find all the stuff at Cabelas or search for fly tying supplies. Warning lure making is addictive and can be hazardous to your wallet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast