Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Plant Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question Power Plant Lake

Question for all of you seasoned crappie fishing professionals. With so many of the lakes closed in central Texas I'm looking at fishing a power plant lake. This particular lake is about a 1000 surface acres of shoreline. The depth is a maximum of 60 ft. The water is clear to slightly stained. The surface tempurature right now is a range of 90 on the cool side to 97 in the main lake. My question is where should I start? I'm not sure if the crappie will be shallow around structure and hydrilla or if they will be deeper around structure. Another question I had is where might the thermocline level be in a power plant lake? Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is a new area for me.

Thanks,

Sharecropper

Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting question, Sharecropper. I was born in the Dallas area and remember going to a lake that was kept warm year round by some kind of plant. It left an impression on my young mind to be able play in the water almost any time of year.

As to how it affects the thermocline, if there is one, is probably dependant on where the warm water reenters the lake. If it occurs at depth, the warm water will be rising and mixing the water, probably removing the chance for anything like a stable thermocline. Where will the fish be? My answer would be: In the water! LOL
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

I would say get a bucket of minnows and some jigs and just go. I have found that no amount of advice equals just finding out for yourself. The water seems very warm to me but, I live in MO so it is different. I have learned that crappie key on cover of all kinds and are shy to light. So with the clear water I would fish very tight to the cover and just experiment with the water depth. I am no expert ( not even close) but it would be fun trying to master a different body of water.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, and I am no expert either. I would try the deeper water around structure, From what I gather the crappie prefer a cooler water and the deeper you get the cooler it should be.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Sharecropper,
    Are you talking about Gibbons Creek?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldwingtiny
    Sharecropper,
    Are you talking about Gibbons Creek?
    No Sir, this would be Lake Bastrop.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only fished Bastrop once and that was from a kayak in a kayak bass tournament. I could not believe all hump's and drop-off's that I found with my depthfinder. I fished the north end of the lake during that tournament only to find that I should have been fishing the south. The standing timber near the south boat ramp was really producing that weekend.
    From what I gathered while talking with some of the local's, Bastrop in not really known for it's crappie fishing but, I'm thinking that if a person could sink a few condo's there, it would really be worth the effort. I can't wait to fish there again. It's about an hour and half drive for me and like I said, the bottom of that lake is really impressive on the depthfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Bastrop this morning. It was windy out on the main lake. We tried sevral brush piles and submerged timber no luck on crappie but did catch several sun fish and bluegill. We did not go to the south end of the lake, maybe we should have.