Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fri nite slabs on Wylie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fri nite slabs on Wylie

I always try to avoid going out on weekends this time of year because of all the boat traffic but when I looked in my bait cooler yesterday I found I had at least 3 dz minnows left over from thur nite. I knew they wouldn't last 'til my next planned trip on Sun without alot of babying so I decide I would brave the wakes and waves of a Fri nite and at least go for a short time. I was anxious to try a spot that would be out of the wind but when I got there a boatload of crappie fisherman was already set up. So I went to the old stand by spot and there were a ton of waterskiers chopping up the water so I headed across the lake for spot choice #3. Got set up in a main channel cove at dark. For the first hour it was dead but in the next hour I caught 5 slabs. Then the action settled down alittle but kept going steady. By the time I pulled anchors I had caught 17 crappies and a big bass. I kept 14 really nice crappies---11 of em slabs. 20' deep give or take a coupla feet was the hot depth. I couldn't believe that almost every fish I pulled in was huge. It was fun to get into some slabs after catching small to average fish the last time out. The wind never changed as promised by the weatherman and the boat traffic was heavy 'til I finished at 1:30 and the anchor was sloppy but it was still a great nite.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

slab_seeker Guest

Kunes, You ought to brave the weekend more often, sounds like a good trip to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about fishin more on weekends slab seeker, but I'm gonna be spendin more time at spot choice#3 for sure.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice night Kunes,my wife and I went to lake jocassee this weekend for some r-n-r.Didnt get to fish any but the lake is one of the most beautiful youve ever seen.Lots of big trout being pulled out of there.I saw one guide at the docks with his clients and they had 6 brown trout all over 4 lbs.Had one rainbow that was 5lbs.These were heavy duty fishing boats with downriggers and planing boards that were a foot across.They said there were crappie in the lake but they were hard to locate and even harder to catch.Might try again soon without the wife.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.