Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Fishing

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Fishing

With all this talk about flys lately I am wondering who fly fishes? I fly fish but not as often as I want to. I am try to do it more and more and bring my fly rod along when I am fishing just in case I can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to fly fish at least a couple of times a week. Its kinda hard though cause the nearest spot is about 145 miles away.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

I want to start pretty soon, but it's been since I was a kid the last time I fly fished.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Me!

I mostly fly fish for bluegill but occasionally FF for trout and bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I do almost every time I go out. I like to "test" new flys and jigs I make.
    -Matt

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Float And Fly Technique

Quote Originally Posted by crappiekid24
    With all this talk about flys lately I am wondering who fly fishes? I fly fish but not as often as I want to. I am try to do it more and more and bring my fly rod along when I am fishing just in case I can do it.
    I will always use the fly or flies under a float with regular spinning rod and reel. Use #4 or #6 pound line. This is similar to the "Float and fly" technique popularized by Smallmouth fishermen.

This way you keep your fly in the strike zone longer. The movement of the float or the water "Activates, undulates and pulsates" the marabou. The fly is lightweight which makes it easier for the Bream or Crappie to suck it into its mouth.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I always fly fish when I'm trout fishing. I usually bring/try the flly rod when I'm crappie fishing, but it's pretty rare that I can catch slabs better on the fly than I can with a spinning rod. It is, IMO, more fun to land them on a fly rod. The trick for me is getting them to bite. When I use the fly rod for crappie, it's usually <1/64th oz jigs.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Me too me too!! A couple of times a week, for now, it's great fun to be catching bream and then hook a bass, or on the rare occasion crappie. I also fish from a kayak, no hassles with a trailer, etc. If I can get to the water, so can my boat:D
    I have one reel with floating line and another with sinking. My brother and I laugh about 'delicate presentation' smack a white popper down and watch it get slammed.
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny this thread came up, as I've been thinking similar myself. I've not thrown a fly in 15+ years. Now, in central Ark. with some ponds and creeks nearby..., I'm thinking about it again. My biggest bass, all of 4#, was caught on a fly rod / popping bug. I can remember that hit like it was 10 minutes ago. Late one Summer day, sun reflecting and shining in my eyes.... at the upper end of my grandpas' stock pond... right "there' behind those 2 stumps close together where I got hung up so many times.... WHAM.. like someone tossed a cement block in the water. Of course I insisted mom cook it... the nastiest fish I ever ate!

I think my next trip to Little Rock will have a stop at the Gander Mtn. to shake a few...... :rolleyes:

Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Man, got me to thinking. I have 2 flyrods in the trunk and have not used them yet this season. Ummmm, maybe this evening at a small private pond so as to get the kinks out of my technique without worrying about catching a bystander on the backcast.