PDA

View Full Version : What do yall think???

centerdriver
07-02-2007, 09:05 AM
After reading the thread "Missing", a thought occured to me....as one does every 8th or 9th year. What is the possibility of setting up an "Amber Alert" on the forum. Not only this forum, but all forums.
Think about it. We have people on this forum who represents all the states, everyone has buds to pass on the info to, and there is just about a forum for anything from RVing, travel nurseing, crappie fishing:eek: and so forth and so on.
Am I out there on this, or does it sound feasible???
Dusty

bugman
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
That does make sense Dusty it would get the word out there quickly and in situations such as that time does matter.

centerdriver
07-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Bugman,
I am a member of about 15 different forums, and will suggest it to all of them. The faster the word spreads, the better the chances are that things will be resolved.
Dusty

papasage
07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
sounds good to me

wannabe fisherman
07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
here's a starter

missing from central Louisville around Churchill Downs since Friday June 29th
4 year old boy Cicero Cano about 3ft tall Hispanic 50 lbs. Last seen outside his apartment playing. Wearing yellow tank top and gray shorts. If you have any info call LMPD at 502 584 LMPD. this is an anonymous tip line

reelcrappie
07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Great idea.

centerdriver
07-02-2007, 07:03 PM
OK moderators, can ya give a section to this??? Just call it "Amber Alert Update". Then the inputs like the one from "wannabe" won't be lost in a thread people might or might not see.
I have 2 other forums hashing it over, lets be the first.
Dusty

Mo'nBack
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
OK moderators, can ya give a section to this??? Just call it "Amber Alert Update". Then the inputs like the one from "wannabe" won't be lost in a thread people might or might not see.
I have 2 other forums hashing it over, lets be the first.
Dusty

All the moderators can do is add a sticky to their individual forums. I'm pretty sure that Mr Ed is the only one that can add a whole new section.

skiptomylu
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Not a bad idea as anything to help find missing kids is good!

CrappiePappy
07-03-2007, 06:55 AM
and I have "stuck" this post. Contact Ed by PM ... (edhead) and see what he can do about putting a seperate forum section in for these "alert" posts.

.... cp :cool:

kayaker
07-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I hate to be the first voice of decent but I’ll bet I’m not the only one who would say that amber alert material is about as far away from the reason we come here as you can get. Information, amusement, entertainment – there’s plenty of places to find bad news elsewhere if that’s what you’re looking for.
Sorry, but there it is.

Ragfly Jig Man
07-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I agree that this would be a great idea. I know the Crappie.com family would certainly jump in to help. Lets do it!

anchorpuller
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I like the idea myself.

While I understand what kayaker is saying, I come here for more than JUST crappie fishing. Crappie fishing is what the common bond is to all of our members, though.
This forum has shown me a whole lot more than just some information about crappie fishing. It has shown me humanity, caring, commraderie, friendship, generosity, amusment among a huge host of other things.
I think the amber alert would fit right in! There are some, maybe many, that do not wish to make this forum anything except the exchange of crappie fishing information. And, that's ok. Just skip the threads/sections that aren't such.
While I wouldn't want to open our forum for advertisements and spam and such, the caring and worry that we find ourselves in over family/friends is something that we can support each other in.
I'm not sure a complete different "section" would be needed for our family/friends for amber alerts, but maybe using the off-topic section with a caption of "amber alert" would work.

Anyway.. just some thoughts and I'm with ya whatever happens!:)

birddog
07-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I second Achorpuller!

crappie bug
07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Sounds good to me.

wrwest
07-03-2007, 10:38 PM
That is a great IDEA. Let do it...

Glowgood Jigster
07-04-2007, 03:59 AM
IN this day and age of predatory sicko's out stalking our neighborhoods for victims, Communities like Crappie.com and others with tendrils reaching all over this country should unite and be the new eyes and ears without State boundries, to be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.
If there are any photo issues, such as posting photo's of missing/abducted people, I gladly offer my help. If you can email me the photo, I can post it to this site for you if you're not sure how, or having trouble with it.

centerdriver
07-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Reading Anchorpuller's response, and giveing me a couple of days to settle down a bit, I will agree that a whole section would not be needed. Once anyone gets on this forum and makes a statement that one of theirs has gone missing, everyone jumps right on the bandwagon.
It is not like something like this happens everyday, but it is still a good warm feeling that places like this can be used "when needed" to get the word out.
Thanks for all the response, sorry I wanted to jump right in with both feet trying to change things, but that is the way I am. I see what I think is really important and go for it.
Once again. thanks for all the support and I know that if needed, word will get out fast and far.
Dusty

Buffy
07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I started coming here to learn more about crappie fishing, but I've found one of the nicest online comunites anywhere. I think it could be sort of a safty net, there if you need it, if you don't ignore it. I hardly ever go to the O.T. couldn't it be the same thing?
Hope everyone is having a safe 4th.

wwwUncle
07-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I like the idea so long as the number to call in the posting is a law enforcement number.

CrappieLips
07-08-2007, 09:42 PM
centerdriver;;;;;; That's a great idea. And anchorpuller, you took the words, right out of my mouth, ditto!!!!

joejv4
07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea!

I belong to a lot of forums, and this one has a membership that is second to none when it comes to looking out for others. The folks on this forum have the best "help out a neighbor" attitude that I've seen anywhere on the internet. While kayaker does have a valid point about the primary role of the crappie.com forums, I think that using this forum to spread Amber Alert information nationwide in a hurry is right in tune with the helpful, caring, overall personality of our little online community.

When you think about how much of the country is covered by our membership, any one of us might happen to see something, that if we were able to connect it to an Amber Alert, might be able to save a child. Were we to not do this, we'd be wasting a valuable resource that could save a child's life.

While OT forum might be appropriate based strictly on topic, something like an Amber Alert might be missed by folks like me, who rarely open it up. A new "section" would be ideal, since members would see there is something new when they first navigate to the forums, and would be likely to check it out before hitting the other forums. If that can't be done, then maybe a Sticky named "Amber Alerts/Updates" at the top of this forum - just for visibility. I also agree with what wwwUncle said about law enforcement numbers. Actually, the best-bet for guidelines would be to post the text directly as posted in the official Amber Alert. Any additional information such as photos, etc. as found on local TV station or newspaper websites should be linked-to in the post.

For members who, like kayaker , don't want to read any more bad news than what they already hear about on a daily basis, they simply need not click on it. And kayaker - I'm not ragging on you - I see and understand your point of view - and it's completely valid, but personally feel that the potential benefit of doing something like this far outweighs the effort it would take for folks that share your view to simply ignore any Amber Alert posts that show up on the forum - after all, it only requires members to not click on it if they don't want to read about it.

Spreading Amber Alert information via this forum is simply "The right thing to do" and we'd be successful if this forum can have even some small hand in returning one missing child.

That's my 2

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea!

I belong to a lot of forums, and this one has a membership that is second to none when it comes to looking out for others. The folks on this forum have the best "help out a neighbor" attitude that I've seen anywhere on the internet. While kayaker does have a valid point about the primary role of the crappie.com forums, I think that using this forum to spread Amber Alert information nationwide in a hurry is right in tune with the helpful, caring, overall personality of our little online community.

When you think about how much of the country is covered by our membership, any one of us might happen to see something, that if we were able to connect it to an Amber Alert, might be able to save a child. Were we to not do this, we'd be wasting a valuable resource that could save a child's life.

While OT forum might be appropriate based strictly on topic, something like an Amber Alert might be missed by folks like me, who rarely open it up. A new "section" would be ideal, since members would see there is something new when they first navigate to the forums, and would be likely to check it out before hitting the other forums. If that can't be done, then maybe a Sticky named "Amber Alerts/Updates" at the top of this forum - just for visibility. I also agree with what wwwUncle said about law enforcement numbers. Actually, the best-bet for guidelines would be to post the text directly as posted in the official Amber Alert. Any additional information such as photos, etc. as found on local TV station or newspaper websites should be linked-to in the post.

For members who, like kayaker , don't want to read any more bad news than what they already hear about on a daily basis, they simply need not click on it. And kayaker - I'm not ragging on you - I see and understand your point of view - and it's completely valid, but personally feel that the potential benefit of doing something like this far outweighs the effort it would take for folks that share your view to simply ignore any Amber Alert posts that show up on the forum - after all, it only requires members to not click on it if they don't want to read about it.

Spreading Amber Alert information via this forum is simply "The right thing to do" and we'd be successful if this forum can have even some small hand in returning one missing child.

That's my 2

you hit it right on the head joe, ditto, make that my 2 cents as well:D

wannabe fisherman
07-09-2007, 04:10 PM
the four year old that was missing in Louisville Ky. was found Saturday.
a sanitation worker found his body in a garbage bag in the back of his truck after making his pick up. It was not released until today 7/9/07 that the body in the bag was indeed the little boy. they had to use dental records to id him.
Not trying to put anything into this but the pick up area for that truck was the neighborhood where the boy lived. Imagine missing a week and found in a garbage bag not a block from home.HMMMM. The area was throughly searched by the police and a ton of volunteers the week before the body was found :(

gabowman
07-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Having a place to post a picture of a missing child on here would be just a sliver of a chance of someone on these formuns of seeing that child. But at least it's a CHANCE. I think it would be a good thing.

centerdriver
07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I will jump in and say that a sticky would be better than trying to set up a whole new section. At least it would be at the top of the page, noticeable and would not scroll down as other threads would be added. Like I said before, did not want to start a ruckus, but thought it a good idea.
Dusty