Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fathers and fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Default fathers and fishermen

alright guys and gals ... im sixteen years old and i guess you could say ive been fishing all my life cuz my dad used to take me when i was really little we had our own pond i guess thats why but he thinks actually going out fishing is a waste of time ... and time is money in his world.but ive always gone out with my friends and all and usually show them up i guess i just have a natural knack for it.not trying to brag cuz im not that good i just out fish my friends but back to the fishing i have only been taking it seriously for the past couple years. and i hear all this talk about fuul moons and new moons and wind and rain and sun and the list goes on an on an on an on ... i live about 20 mins south east of nashville and weve had a pretty bad drought for the past couple months and i was wondering when the perfect time to go fishing was befroe the rain right ater the rain or during. thats all

oh and just a little info on the moons and stuff would be nice

oh yeah i would love it sooooo much if all you fathers out there can give me some hints on how to get my father to go with me some day cuz i know for a fact he used to love to go fishing ive seen pictures from before i was born but ever since i was born they stop i mean its not like i never ask him to go its just when i do he always tells me he hates to fish and never liked t fish and i know thats not true...http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/images/smilies/smile.gif

so a little help would be greatly appreciated
    "AM I EVER GOING TO STOP FISHING? NOT UNTIL THE DAY I DIE!"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your dad not takin you fishing, I had the same problem when i was younger, the best time to fish is right after the rain for me. but when ever you can go fishing is a good time.
    One word of advice remember how you feel now and when you have kids take them fishing, me and my 2 kids have a lot of good memeroies they are 19-21 now and still fish with me

Post Thanks / Like

Do him like most of us do our children....get on some fish and when they're really smack'n it talk him into goin....he'll be hooked.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you can get out is a great time slab-seeker. Let your dad know how much it would mean to you for him to go with you, then..... you take him. I am sure it would rekindle the love. When I went to Tennessee State back in the 1960's I fished Old Hickory and the Cumberland River a few times. Trust me, you will never lose your love of fishing. Make it a family outing and invite your mom too.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the best time to go fishing is right before the rain. The fish tend to bite alot better before a low pressure fromt. Whenever there is alot of fresh water the fish will not bite as good.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. I feel ya! I truly do. All you can do is encourage and let him know how much it would mean to you for him to go with ya. Then keep on keeping on. I'm going to repeat a story I've told here before, because it seems right up the line of what you are talking about.

Most of the folks on here have fond memories of fishing with Grandpa or Dad or some other person that took them and showed them the ropes, so to speak.
    I have that memory too. Only thing is once a cute little girl catches a fish, most Daddys and Grandpas think that is it. And, I guess, sometimes it is. Little girls play dolls and stuff.
    Well, this little girl played dolls and stuff too. But She LOVED fishin!

Skip to young woman wanting to learn.

My father had a little jon boat with a 9.9 Mercury outboard. It was the perfect little fishin boat (In my mind). It sat out beside the house, covered up for years. I asked Dad to take me fishin'. He said sure honey, we'll go sometime. I kept buggin' him until his truck was stolen. Then he says, Well, I don't have a way to pull a boat now. I had a little cheap Hundai (remember them?) I asked Dad. Well Dad If I get a hitch put on my car will you take me fishin'? He laughs and says Sure.. you go right ahead.
    Now I know he was thinking "There's no way anyone will put a hitch on that rubberband buggie"
    He was wrong.
    and I kept buggin him... so he says Well, I don't have a fishing license. So I say, Well, if I get you a fishing license, will you take me fishin'? He says Sure honey. You go get me a fishing license. Now, he knows something I don't about that.... you gotta go in person and present your ID to get one, right?
    wrong.. I knew the little ole man at the bait shop and got my Dad a fishin' license...and tackle....and worms...and anything else I could think of we might need.
    I kept working on him until he finally says "Look, I don't WANT to go fishing. You can take that boat and fish all you want to" He proceeds to tell me that it is a tilt trailer and I can put it in almost anywhere.
    Well, I hooked that boat up and dusted it off. I called the marine shop and asked how to mix the gas and oil and what oil to buy etc. I took that boat to what I thought was a boat ramp. It was actually a place where people bank fished. I backed the boat up to the bank, got out and pulled the pin on that "tilt trailer" and DUMPED the boat into the lake. Getting the boat into the lake wasn't so hard. After paddling the boat back to the bank from somewhere over the rainbow, ( the motor was gummed up or something and only ran enough to get me somewhere out on the lake and quit) fighting the wind to get the boat TO the trailer and using brute strength to force that boat onto the back of that trailer, and get it wenched up and FORCING the tilt to tilt back down.......You'd think I'd QUIT!

skip about 20 years forward and I STILL love to fish, I now have my own boat with a trailer that does NOT tilt. I have learned to do things that today I show my own son and daughter. And if either one of them wants to know more about fishing, I plan to show them what I can!
    Oh.. and Dad. He retired to the coast and sits there with a nice offshore fishing rig in his boathouse that has been out maybe 3 times in the last five years. I'd bug him about that one too, but I like to CRAPPIE fish.
    Now that Dad is older and less able, he wants to go fishing with me. I try to take him as much as I can. This is a picture of a happy feller with his daughter fishing for crappie!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

anchorpuller All I can say is AWSOME!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You are what crappie fishermen (and ladies) are all about....great story anchorpuller!!!
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds like a busy guy with a lot on the go ........Here is what I would try.....ask him what is on for the weekend and if he has a lot planned , tell him you will give him a hand with it and get it finished up quicker if you guys can go fishing " together ".
    Hope this helps Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep on him 'til he caves in...

....then, the fish will do the rest!

Seriously, my dad was pretty cool about the whole fishing thing. I was hooked from a young age (about 4) and my mom fished with me all the time. My dad always took me fishing, but never really cared for fishing himself. This past weekend, I invited him on a headboat trip and he surprised me by saying yes. He had a blast!! Croakers everywhere (we fished out of Point Lookout on the Chesapeake). Who knows? I may be able to convince him to come crappie fishing with me next. I know I'll hook him for sure then.

As for weather, the bite is usually tough for me just ahead of a cold front storm, but I love fishing during the rain and the days just after. Sometimes, you don't get the luxury of picking your weather conditions when you fish, so you'll need to be adventurous and try various tactics to determine what works when. Experiment and you'll be able to catch fish no matter what. Good luck with your dad.