Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Difference between 2-cyle oils??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference between 2-cyle oils??

What, if any, are the differences between the 2-cycle oil you use in your boat and the stuff you use in a chainsaw or weedeater?

Post Thanks / Like

No differnce , they both do the same thing, just make sure you use a quality oil. I like to use klotz 2 stroke oil. There is some out there that is pretty low quality and gums up carbs files plugs and such.

Coony

Post Thanks / Like

When I had 2 stroke motors. I always used TCW-2, Then they came out with TCW-3.
    Not going to tell you the TCW-3 (Rated) oil is better. But in a $99 weed eater is not a big deal.
    But a outboard is $$. I would buy at least the Wal-Mart brand in the gallon jugs.
    I used to by the Mercury oil by the case. And it was a better price. but then I used a few cases each year fishing for bass.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

When you say the Wal Mart stuff, do you mean the SuperTech in the blue jugs? I noticed its around $9/gal, wheras the name brand is closer to $20.

Post Thanks / Like

Last I bought was a few years ago.As both of my motors are now 4-stroke.
    But when I bough it. It was in a white jug. And has outboard motor oil on the jug.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280
    When you say the Wal Mart stuff, do you mean the SuperTech in the blue jugs? I noticed its around $9/gal, wheras the name brand is closer to $20.
    Thats it, works just as good as the high price stuff.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used yhe super tech fore about 5 years and can't tell any defrince betwen it and the more expensive brands

Post Thanks / Like

Not knocking the Super Tech oil but all I use in my Merc is Quicksilver. I've had a highly respected boat mechanic tell me once that they do more repairs due to Tech oil than any other oil. He said that whoever can produce Tech oil the cheapest each year is who Wal-Mart goes with.
    Personally I have not seen anybody have any problems with Tech Oil.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

make SURE you use TCW-3 oil. The TCW-2 can only be used with high octane gas, and it is probably inferior. Other 2 stroke oils are not made for outboards.

the SuperTech automotive oils are made by Quaker State, and I wouldn't be surprised the 4 stroke oil is made by them as well. It is perfectly good oil, I have used it for years without any problem.

do not use regular 2 stroke oil in an outboard. they NEED TCW-3.

Joe