Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First day on new lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default First day on new lake

I recently moved to Roanoke, VA and finally got out to try the new lake. Smith Mountain Lake, Thanks to all for the tips and info. I started shooting docks around 8 and fished till all the waterbugs (jet skis and skiers) got out there at about 11. This was my first attempt at shooting docks and I think I am going to like it. I ended up with 25 keepers (although today was C&R) in the three hours. Biggest one was 14" Blacknose but most were 9-11" I am giong to try to attach pic but only had cell phone camera. Best thing is I only drew blood twice.

All you dock shooters out there what type of jigs are you using. I was using regular tubes and the bodies were tearing up, some due to fish and some due to me bouncing them off the docks.

Thanks,
    Beev
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a good day!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Don't ya just love it

Quote Originally Posted by wvspec
    I recently moved to Roanoke, VA and finally got out to try the new lake. Smith Mountain Lake, Thanks to all for the tips and info. I started shooting docks around 8 and fished till all the waterbugs (jet skis and skiers) got out there at about 11. This was my first attempt at shooting docks and I think I am going to like it. I ended up with 25 keepers (although today was C&R) in the three hours. Biggest one was 14" Blacknose but most were 9-11" I am giong to try to attach pic but only had cell phone camera. Best thing is I only drew blood twice.
    All you dock shooters out there what type of jigs are you using. I was using regular tubes and the bodies were tearing up, some due to fish and some due to me bouncing them off the docks.
    Thanks,
    Beev
    Shooting docks is a lot of fun, and quite productive under the right conditions.
    Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read your statement "I only drew blood twice". I assumed you meant you turned the jig hook facing the wrong way, and stuck yourself .... been there, done that :p

I started with hollow tubes ... and I understand where you're coming from. I switched to solid body tubes (CrappiePro brand) and reduced that problem to the point of only occasionally having to replace or reset the body. Another plastic body that is quite effective for dock shooting purposes, is the Panfish Assassin (Bass Assassin brand). And don't feel bad about "bouncing them off the docks" ... I actually destroyed a Charlie Brewer Whirly Bee, in that same way :D
    I use weedless jigheads, in most situations ... and dock shooting is no exception. 1/32oz for fish that are moody, pressured, suspending shallow, or are wanting a slow descent presentation -- 1/16oz for most other conditions.
    And I'm most often using 4lb test hi-vis mono ... either Stren Gold, or Mr Crappie Hi-vis.

And don't you just love the tenacity of the Blacknose ?? Congrats on a really nice fish ... I'd love to tangle with a 14" Blacknose :D
    And here's a little tip for you, that might add some more (and maybe larger) fish to your creel: after, or even while you are shooting a dock, and especially if the dock is on wooden posts and in water over 12' deep, and the posts are in the shade ... try Vertical Casting around those posts !! I wrote a "how to" article, or more accurately a "how I do" article, that's in the articles section of this site. Here's a link, in case you haven't already read it -- http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm

.... luck2ya ... cp