Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-Tec vs Optimax

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation E-Tec vs Optimax

I'm replacing my 115 Johnson on my Ranger 681. In the past I have always run Evinrude / Johnson motors. Considering today's prices on outboard motors, fuel, and all the other expenses of living I will be looking for the best value in this purchase. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions from you E-Tec / OptiMax owners.

Thanks in advance,

R. Woods

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

If you're looking for better gas milage the E-tec will be hard to beat. There is no other 2 stroke that can touch them for fuel consumption. Just my 2 cents.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Neither. Get a YAMAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If your not already sold on the Evinrude or Mercury brands consider a Honda. I have owned and had good luck with OMC and Mercury but none compare to the Honda for fuel efficiency and sound (Honda is very quiet). Only four years experience with the Honda but so far it has been troublefree.

Post Thanks / Like

If you switch brands of motor, you will have to switch controls (and maybe gauges) as well. Better check that cost too.

Post Thanks / Like

sharecropper.......I'm a Mercury man through and through. I'm not saying that it's any better. It's just what I've always used. However, these are all quality brand motors mentioned above. They all have their pros and cons. To excel in one area, they usually lack in another. Like anything else, I believe that you can get a lemon in any of them.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

My opti is very easy on fuel.I know e-tec was having some trouble with powerheads and lower units but not sure if they have that resolved or not.

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

There is one thing about the optimax you may want to consider, weight. The optimax is only about 10 lbs lighter than the merc 4 stroke. I have a 90hp optimax and am very satisfied with the motor so far, although I did have to have warranty work done after about 5 or 6 months. Had an oil line come loose on my motor and burnt the air comp.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I hate merc. But I am biased against the whole company (brunswick) for personal reasons. Outside of that, I really wish I could afford an E-tech. Lighter, more eco friendly than the 4 stroke, just as good if not better on fuel, and much quicker hole shot and overall speed.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I really love my optimax 150 so far. No camplaints at all.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast